Rogue Squadron Board

Welcome to the Rogue Squadron Community.
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

How will the new Star Wars trilogy rank?
More disappointing than the prequels. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Just as unsatisfying as the prequels. 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Better than the prequels but still not the greatest thing you've ever seen. 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Surpassing even the holy trilogy in pure awesomeness and geekery. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:51 am 
Site Admin

Pure speculation, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:12 pm 

This depends greatly on a number of factors.
Main among them will be source material.
Do not give a moments worry to the visuals or sound.
It will all boil down to the script. Without a good script it simply can't happen.
Unfortunately, we SW fans are notoriously difficult to please in that regard.

Then there is the director.
We know that George won't be at the helm.
This is most certainly a good thing because no one alive will tell the man NO.
If its Bay or Wheadon we're hosed.
(Joss does good work but he ALWAYS kills off someone that he spent the whole show making us care about)
Tarentino and the Wachowski brothers make fun movies but it's hard to believe they could avoid somehow tainting the purity of the product with their own trademark spin on things.

Then there is the cast.
Forget that among ourselves, we probably couldn't agree on the 'perfect cast' for a cinematic treatment of Wraith Squadron (which would be a really fun thread to start if it hasn't already happened.)

My greatest fear is 'celebri-casting'. Did you know that in the 80's Eddie Murphy was almost in a Trek film?
Disney is all about putting 'hot' & 'happening' stars into their movies. I for one would rather jump off a moving planet
than see Drake Bell play one of the Solo children.

Then we have the question: What will be the Disney spin on the SW universe?
Will they acquire the Lucas Film name so as to release new SW movies under that banner instead of the squeaky clean family friendly Disney name?

Personally I am not consciously aware of a bad Disney movie released since Little Mermaid.
The one exception being the most recent "The Muppets" movie.

For this atrocity one must needs only place blame solely on the over-sized misshapen head of Jason Segal who I would best enjoy seeing at the sharp end of a pike outside Buckingham Palace, or some similarly byzantine edifice. Let's film that and call it "How I Met Your Maker."

The film's regurgitative plot was stolen ad hoc from the equally horrendous Muppet Letters to Santa TV special. It's catchy but emotionally vacant tunes penned by Segal are the kind of hipster ironic so awful its funny in a bad way type schlock that makes one yearn to press your ears into the soothing warmth of hot waffle iron. But of course the wretched thing was only just shy of being a Direct to Video release, and it is an indisputable fact that 100% of Disney's Direct to Video stuff has been complete and utter crap.

Forgive me... I seem to have digressed somewhat.

To sum up, if we get a good script it WILL be a good movie. I do honestly trust that the 'House of Mouse' will make every effort to give us a compelling story arc (it hast to span at least 6 hours of film right?)

I have said before that no one with a pulse in Hollywood will let the SW cash cow die until people have stopped buying the long since ashen grey powdered milk that it excretes in it's throes of death.

I plan to keep my expectations as low as possible so as to be pleased by what we get be it only for the slightest moment. I'm a cautious optimist. I mean if you are falling into a pool filled with hungry piranha, do you really care if the pool is half full, or half empty?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Epic analysis, Piggy.

Maybe Wheadon will sacrifice <gasp> Chewie! ;-) Personally, I'd be willing to sacrifice a main character in order to have Joss at the helm.

Not Bay, though. I'd sacrifice all the main characters to not have him in charge.

Speaking of celebri-casting and Michael Bay, please no Shia LeBouf. Please.

All the Muppets movies have been disappointing to me.

Segal's only good role was Freaks & Geeks.

Nice piranha analogy.