Rogue Squadron Board

Welcome to the Rogue Squadron Community.
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:14 pm 

Aaaaaaaaaaand... go!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:00 am 

Sorry it took me so long to reply! Haven't actually managed to get to the board the last few days. Weddings and work will do that to ya!

Nice start. :) Liking the imagery of Dru's dream, as well as the description of him waking up and fumbling in the dark. It's the little touches that really make a plot work! Good stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:22 am 

I also liked the dream imagery (not that I'm biased to creepy dreams, or anything!) and appreciate the fact that while changes in plans happen, they are not always welcome.

Will be good to see everyone back on the same engagement, however!

Very nice, Gav!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:36 pm 

Hey guys, remember me? :wink:

I just wanted to drop a quick note here and say I'm back around, and I'm starting to get caught up on Plot 17, and, can't wait to join the fun again!

Oh, and my husband...yeah...he is getting all in to it, too, and will eventually want to join RS as well.

Fun stuff! Can't wait to be back in the flow of things again! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:57 pm 

Oh hey, Tyr's back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:04 am 

Hey! Welcome back Tyr... and anticipated welcome to Mr Tyr! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:38 pm 

Hmm... how... to... get... around... that...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:36 pm 

GROUP PLOT CALL!

Anyone interested in group-plotting the Mandalore battle?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:41 am 

Stick a GoogleDoc up?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:34 am 

Google Doc at least gets something started....Let's see...

And, created a doc, So far have Face, Gav and Dru added as editors - anyone else want in?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:40 pm 

I'm thinking just a summery/overview of the fight:
1) So we don't get and more bogged down on Mandalore
2) This isn't a significant battle of any sort, so there's no real benefit to have 4-5 entries about the battle.

Something that can be done in 1-2 plot entries:
- Sacul lands
- Brief Face on Nar Shaddaa
- Briefing on the outpost assault
- Moderately detailed overview of how the assault went.
- After-battle discussion between Face and the clan-head.
- Pack up and move on.

Also, I'm cashing in my certificate to have something embarrassing happen to Face from the RAF fundraiser.
Be afraid, Face. Be afraid...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:34 pm 

Face - I got a message wanting to know whether an email I sent you was spam, wanting some sort of verification -

Sadly, the verification looks like gibberish and I am not 100% sure this is from you...

Do you have a spam filter verification that wants me to reply to the e-mail?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:08 am 

Yeah, I do. Sorry Red! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:33 am 

I was able to sort it out so I am on the "good" list.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:48 pm 

Great start!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:06 pm 

Does anyone mind if I end the battle? We seem to be stuck at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:59 am 

The google doc for the current battle is still there, feel free to work in it/on it/finish it if you have the time and inspiration. I think everyone got a major case of the 'Real Life' and plotting has just fallen to the wayside.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:44 am 

So - I glanced at the google doc for this writing plot line, and I was the last person to edit it actively on 15 November 2011! I have the impression we all have heavy duty cases of real life (my thesis is nearing the end AND I have a job application pending - and only my Dream job, too! Good luck wishes appreciated).

I also think that while we all liked the idea of writing the off characters, once we got into it we didn't find it as appealing as it sounded on paper. Do we want to just write off the 17 plot idea and use it as a "So, remember when Rancor squad did 'x'?" type of reference in any future writing we manage to pull off?

And to ask the really hard question - I know Deven has his amazing story going, but has plotting become a thing of non-interest for people? Personally, I REALLY enjoy doing it (especially in turn based group sessions) but I can appreciate that with our evolving lives, loss of free time, and a decrease in active membership, it may not be a large part of the board anymore.

I am in NO way suggesting the board stop/dissolve, but maybe reorient to try and revitalize our connection. I suspect that I am not the only one who fell out of habit checking the board regularly (a habit I am working to change), but maybe admitting that the plotting is on the way out (if not gone) or going back to a much looser style might help revive board activity a bit.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Jawas?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:56 am 

I would love to be plotting again.

As of recently, all I've managed is to remain a noisy irritant around here, but there is so little going on in the real world for me that most days, it barely seems worth getting up in the morning to engage in something as intense as thinking.

What is the URL for the current google doc?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:28 am 

Voort - I sent you an invite via your yahoo email, since the google doc was listed as private. Let me know if you have trouble getting it or want me to invite you via a different email.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:44 pm 

I was actually considering having the next post in 17c be "and the battle happened and now post-battle discussions, goodbyes, and we're off!"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:36 am 

To be honest, since I got into playing tabletop games, I've found myself drifting away from plotting, as I have a new outlet for creativity... However, that has to chance, for I cannot allow my first love to suffer!

With Plot 17 ignored since November last year, and scarcely touched in probably the year before that, I think we might need to rethink how/why we plot.

With the introduction of the New Rebellion and subsequent return of the Empire, we drastically scaled down our "resources" to just one Task Force. I'll freely admit, that I probably enjoyed creating the rank structure, infrastructure and everything else more than actually plotting. The problem is, once I had made these awesome designs, I wanted them to come to life... But without a lot of time and effort, they're not going to.

So... How do we make plotting enjoyable, personable and interactive like it once was? My thought, we shrink even more.

No Valour, no High Flight, no Razorcat Battalion... Just 12 characters. One squadrons worth of people to play with, one ship (The Sacul, as I like it, and have spent WAY to much time designing it!!) and one plot.

Of course, I doubt there are 12 writers at present, so I propose we take a selection of Wraiths and Rogues, stick them in the Sacul and go and have adventures. We don't have to have epic battles each plot, and save the entire galaxy, we can just do our part and have fun.

I admit, part of this refocus is owing to the fact that I've been looking a lot at the SW RPG, and seeing how they have plenty of adventure arcs (or ready made stories!!) to play through. Get to have a SW adventure with my favourite characters? Yes please!

In fact, I'd go as far to say we can retcon if we wanted. Would rather have Gav not as a dark Jedi? Why not! Tyria never married Wedge? Fine.

It's our plot, it's our galaxy, let's have it how we want. If the canon is too much to alter... Fine, this is an alternate universe. Face never had a kid, Gav never turned to the dark side, Wedge kept his masculinity (sorry Tyr, couldn't resist!)

Also, seeing how easy it is to actually play tabletop games over the interweb, if we wanted to (and I do) there is no reason we can't stat up our characters and play a few games!

Let's go be awesome again. We've painted ourselves into a corner? Sod it, it's our world, we can change it if we want to.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:19 pm 

Is there continuity between the adventures or are they separate episodes?

Also, we don't have to retcon the main plot. We can put it on the shelf for now and come back to it later if we want. I'd really hate to put Brya away just after making her. We can start an "alternate universe" plot like we did with Borsk.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:15 pm 

We don't have to change anything, it was only if we wanted to (you'd rather have Gav to write for than Brya for example). And there's no reason why we couldn't have a continuing story like we do, just scaled back (not saving the galaxy... Again)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

I like the idea of scaling things back to a realistic level that can be managed by a group that now has careers, spouses, kids, thesises, travels, and abundant social lives outside the Internet. I love the RS Plot, but it's gotten so complicated and hard to jump in and out of that I think it's doability and enjoyability ranks low for most of us, especially me. I think back to the early days of RS writing when plots were a series of paragraphs and short stories written rapid-fire and thought up on the spot (imagine how easy that would be with smartphones now). I also like the idea of sticking with our RS Plot (it's our baby) but altering anything we want because we're not writing it for an audience but ourselves. And we're not writing it to be published but rather for our own enjoyment in keeping our minds creative and enjoying writing with our friends. I like the idea of a plot that you can jump in and out of as real life dictates and not have to read through tens of thousands of words of back story to have a clue of what's going on. I think whatever method we choose, if it gets us writing again and makes it worth the time taken out of our busier lives, then it's the right method. It's good to see that despite our lack of writing (especially my own), we still have a great interest in the Plot.