Rogue Squadron Board

Welcome to the Rogue Squadron Community.
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:02 pm 

Spotted a Firefly reference, and a Red Dwarf quote. I'm sure there are more though!

Good stuff as always though! As Red said, your ability to keep multiple plots open is always amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:08 pm 

Thanks, i've always wanted to try that, putting some lyrics at the end of a story, but I never seem to find any approriate.

Recently however, I was listening to the Real Live Dead One album and the song just kind of hit me. The melody itself is pretty haunting, but it were the lyrics that got me.

As for quotes/references, yep, there's three Red Dwarf ones and the Firefly one (The lassiter), but also a Kelly's Heroes one, Earthworm Jim (Cartoon) and Sam And Max.

Oh wow, starting a second page of replies. Thats never happened to me before. :D

Never trust a man who, when left alone with a tea cozy, does not try it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:26 am 
Site Admin

Almost done with Book Four, and let me say that I love the role you've put Corran in, breaking into a long-hidden store of knowledge and delving into the past in order to find answers. It's the role I've envisioned for post-Plot Corran, and it has a nice Indiana Jones touch to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:11 am 

Apologies for everyone who was waiting for the next part. With the piece halfway through and clocking in at 73k already, a system crash has just screwed up both the primary and backup text file. :cry:

Now when I open the file all I get are thousands of little squares instead of text. I'd saved just before the crash, but I seem to have lost the whole thing. Copying/pasting the text to another location does nothing since there apparently is nothing there, yet the original files still register as 73k. I am so £$@%*^ off right now. :evil: :evil: :evil:

If any one knows how to sort this and recover my work, then please help because for the time being Darkest days is on hiatus since i lack the enthusiasm to redo nearly three weeks of work. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 pm 

Deven - I can't promise anything, but if you wanted to send me the word file, I can try to see if I couldn't pull it back into the correct shape.

I'll tell my boss a student needed the help for a fiction class on campus if anyone asks - but let me know and I'll PM you my email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:14 am 
Site Admin

Wow, just finished Book Four, and while it's the length of an entire RS Plot, it's as captivating as one, making it a very worthy successor to the RS Plot series.

Send the corrupted file to me too at randy@erality.com

I'll see what I can do with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:36 am 

Sent it to both of you. Any help no matter how small is appreciated.

In the menatime, I just going to sit here and not cry. :cry: Dang! I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:13 pm 

Mew...no tears, although I no how frustrating it is to loose that much work.

Sadly, no luck on my end yet...unless you count getting a page full of numbers...

*huggles*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:06 pm 

With Christmas and New year past I've finally regained my enthusiasm for this. Working on the current part now.

No posting date as yet, since it's going to be fairly long and I've got work and everything, but it is on its way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

W00t! Although I must say, your hiatus from writing has given me time to get caught up. Very close to finishing the most recent stories now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:30 am 
Site Admin

FINALLY!!!!!

<trumpet fanfare>

At last, I am caught up! And a thoroughly fantastic read, Dev! Throw it onto some paper and bind it, and I'd swear it was a novel written by a professional SW author. Aside from the fact that it makes references to a monumental piece of literature that all the other SW canon authors have been deprived of.

And now I can actually reply to stories as they're written. Looking forward to more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:22 pm 

Update: Due to the time that has passed since I lost posted a part and because of the length of the WIP, the next part will no longer be tagged onto the end of book five. Instead, I'll be posting it in a book of its own.

Just so you know, I'm about halfway and at 90kb already.

New part coming soon, I promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:23 pm 

HOORAY!!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:28 am 

First half of Book six posted. More coming soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:36 pm 

...1. WOW

2. You're giving me an ego complex, what with the Octavia awesomeness!

I especially liked the bafflement of the "Award of the Mechanic's Nightmare". Hee...sounds right.

3. The tension is killing me. The Sacul is possessed, half of the Tarns are possessed...its all getting really creepy actually. But the suspense just has me coming back, because its going to get worse but it has to get better, too. Right?

As always, another masterpiece within an even larger masterpiece! Well worth the wait - you balance the fights and personal side of everything so well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:34 pm 

Trust me, when I say things are going to get far more interesting.

Fact number 1) I actually gave Bel Tarn, (the ten year old one) a middle name, but I can't for the life of me remember why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:41 am 

Brilliant!

Loving it all! And you've given me ideas for the current plot (I'm loving your holotank idea!). I really liked Kai's tribute to Wash! Oh, and the Mechanics Nightmare award! Nice!

The battle descriptions are fantastic too. Excellent stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:51 pm 

Development of next part proceeding well. Should have it posted by sometime next week.

I've made a few decisions recently regarding the path of the storyline. Expect some surpises and major twists, some you might see coming, others you won't.

Incidently, my third storyline (Fractured Galaxy) was, according to my original plan going to be set 300 years after Darkest Days. But after some thinking that idea is dropped.

I've developed a liking for several characters and i'm not quite ready to put them down yet. As such, Darkest Days will be taking a slightly different course than I had originally envisioned. There shouldent by any major changes to upset what I've alreay written.
It's just that the end will be different.

If you're good. Once I've finished Darkest Days. I might post a synopsis of my original plan and the original outline of Fractured Galaxy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:51 pm 

Next part sometime tomorrow and I'm sticking to that. No delays this time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:25 pm 

Book Six completed with a cliff hanger.

Enjoy.

Book Seven will pick straight up from six and will take place over a handful of weeks. It'll also wrap up the Battle of Bastion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:16 pm 

Nice stuff! Liked the Mando'a as well as Kai's piloting!

Red and Deven are always an interesting pair too! And the dogfighting is very easy to follow! Perhaps you could help out in the Plot 15 Finale? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:29 am 

*Bows to the greatness*

As always, you never disappoint! And I am loving the fighting scenes - not to mention that the Sacul is as awesome as ever in cutting it to the wire!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Red vs. the galaxy. Hehe, almost. Massively impressive battle sequence for a monstrosity of a battle! Lots of edge-of-the-seat action, and nicely intermingled with storylines of other going-ons. I really enjoy even the stories about characters who have little to nothing to do with the main story, yet show a slice out of life in the rest of the galaxy.

Hmm, Corran's Jedi mind meld...

<concentrates>

Rrrrrrrrr....make me a sandwich....rrrrrrrrrr...with the choice meats and veggies of a thousand worlds...rrrrrrr...and hold the mayo...

I like this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:44 pm 

Okay, after a slight delay (Been playing Supreme Commander, Command And Conquer 3, Test Drive Unlimited and Sam and Max) The Darkest Days has resumed production with Book Seven.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:58 am 

Good stuff as always! Very Riveresque descriptions in the middle there. Looking forward to seeing how that pans out! Could to see that you can take Red out of the Wraiths, but not the Wraith out of Red!

:)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:43 pm 

Wow...
Just, wow....

Yeah, that kinda comment would totally set Red off. And the intrigue and such is just building!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:21 am 

Thanks guys, glad you like.

Incidently, I'm using a lot of real world military terms, but the numbers change depending on the general strength of a unit and the firepower individual troops wield.

For example, a Republic Rangers Battalion would comprise the standard number of personnel a real world battalion would have, ie: about three hundred.
On the other hand, the Genyosha with their greater firepower and armour comprises battalions of only a hundred.

Just in case there's any confusion :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:17 am 

Out of curiosity - are you using military ranks in the core Republic group based off of modern rank trees, or a mixed model such as is so often seen in sci-fi military groups?

aka, would the order of generals, for example, go: Brigadier General, Major General, Lieutenant General, General? (also known as "Be My Little General" for those of us who had to memorize the order :P )

Or would the order be somewhat varied, since we have multiple factions, armies, etc interacting here?

Being oddly curious about this, for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:10 am 

Uhhh, I'd not really thought about that.

I guess it's the mixed Sci-Fi model, since, for instance, the rank of General doesn't exist within real world navel forces (Admiral is equivalent), yet I've got several characters with that rank or similar commanding ships and fleet.

In Star Wars EU, this discrepancy is present as well. For instance, Wedge Antilles, Garm Bel Iblis, Voss Parck, Soontir Fel, Airen Cracken and Turr Phennir have all held the rank of General despite being Naval or Starfighter Command officers.

As for order, I guess it's same as normal. With some exceptions. In the real world, Admiral and General are equal or at least similar ranks, yet in SW, generals are often lower on the rung than Admirals. Consolidation of the lists is needed in some cases. I guess it would be something like the list below.

In Descending order:

Supreme Admiral/Commander or Grand Admiral.
Admiral.
Vice Admiral or Air Marshal in Starfighter command.
General.
Rear Admiral.
LT. General.
Commodore (Naval and Starfighter) or Brigadeer (Ground)

After this things just get confusing on account of the naval rank of captain being three levels higher than the army rank of Captain. Intrestingly, mainline Star Wars litriture is incredibly fuzzy on this issue since characters are often promoted,yet not
actually given additional troops to command.

Wedge Antillies is a good example. In Isaard's Revenge, He's promoted to General (Which would make him an Air Chief Marshal in a real world air force) and yet he continues to command only Rogue Squadron and it's not until the NJO that he actually commands forces suitable to his rank although Starfighters of Adumar mentions that he has been in command of the Lusankya task force and New Rebellion puts him in command of a small task force during the battle of Kueller's forces. But it always seems to default to him being in comman of the Rogues.

The whole thing is a bit confusing. Like this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:51 pm 

Ah, I was just curious - not to mention I suspect that having differing military structures affects how an American reader might interpret a rank compared to a UK reader, etc.

Plus, when you think about it, Navy, Army, and Air Force functions would certainly change with the inclusion of space warfare. Some fleets might be more akin to a Navy, while another world might consider Space an extension of Air Force functioning (despite the SciFi tradition of associating it with the Navy). Not to mention, how would all of this change on world?

Agreed, it is a confusing mess. Besides, we aren't even touching NCOs and Enlisted....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:26 pm 

Yes, best not to touch those.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:20 am 
Site Admin

A thoroughly enjoyable read, Deven. And more running-gunning action than an '80s action flick. But I enjoy the dramatic scenes between the characters just as much. Jenna's mental dilemmas are quite intriguing, and Deven's reactions to them quite fatherly.

~Face and an overweight, balding man in a robe similar to that worn by Jedi~

The first time I read that sentence, I read it without the "and" after Face, and thought for a moment that the years had not been kind to our boy-actor.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:05 pm 

Next part is almost-a-ready!

Should be up by tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:06 am 

Ahem, did I say Sunday night? You see that's what happens when you set yourself deadlines, you can never meet them.

Anyway, new part up. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:36 am 

Love it!!!!

Well worth the wait, and no worries about deadlines, I'm hardly one to have any criticism since I hardly keep my own.

The Necronimicon...heee! I am in love with the fact that Trinity has The Necronimicon.

:D Wonderful as always, ego boosting with Red as always.

Sneak separatists...glad to see that people are taking the retreat as a sign that they should know something else.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:27 am 

I too found the Book of the Dead amusing!

Nicely done!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:43 pm 

Phew!

I spent some lazy hours over the last few days reading through The Final Mission and The Darkest Days in their entirety. Firstly, wow. This is good, well-thought-out stuff, Deven. Truly a pleasure to read, and the story is gripping and has me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next segment.

The amount of depth you put into the personalities of the characters is really astounding. Keeping them all separate in your head must be quite a job!

Bravo!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:17 pm 

Yay, another convert!

You want to know a secret? All the characters are actually manifestations of my multiple personalities.

Uumm, I'm not sure I should've mentioned that.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:32 pm 

If that's the case, stay well away from the modern mental health industry. You'll be a lab rat for years as they try to figure out how you all live together! ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:48 pm 

We work on a carefully organised time share setup. Gets a litle awkward occasionally, especially around christmas and birthdays, but we get by.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:19 pm 

Dru, I'm suprised that you didn't ask for a cameo!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:41 pm 

Who says I haven't? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:07 am 

Hooray, new installment!

Nice little psychology interlude there - I'm always a fan of sarcastic inkblot tests.

As always, well worth the wait! Also, hooray for more Red rank!...

And little Reds?! heee, no comment - I think that information being classified is best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:17 am 

Good stuff there Deven! General Red? Dear oh dear...

Still, always enjoyable to read! Keep it up!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:23 pm 

Ok, after massive delays. The final part of book Seven is posted.

Book eight will kick off soon.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:20 pm 

Wow...just...wow.

I'll be honest, this was a HEAVY one. Jenna is rather in a mess...and psychologically, you're portraying that very, very well.

As for Red...

I'll be honest, I was appalled and rejected the murder...but when I thought about it...

Just goes to show what happens when one gets sucked up into a position like that. I actually feel like I was the one who did it...which means you caught Red spot on. Very nicely done, even if I get to be guilty.

Deven, this story has GOT to be hard to write!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:04 am 

Thanks Red,

It IS hard to write. Jenna has become one of my most beloved characters, I enjoy writing her. But I'm putting her through sheer hell, and its only going to get worse for her. She's a good guy, but she seems to catch a lot of poodoo. That's why I brought in the relationship with Oddball, she needs a ray of hope, someone to keep her going.

As for Red, the murder segment (Which is still ongoing) was a tricky one to write. I wanted to show the lengths she was willing to go to protect her ship and crew. I also wanted to avoid the killing becoming too over the top and tried to keep it within the bounds of feasibility for Red.
In any case, its not really about the killing, (Which is why it was shown as a flashback) but the aftermath as Red struggles to come to terms with what she did and tries to mantain her ability to command.

Yes, truly a difficult one to write.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:05 am 
Site Admin

Intriguing development with Red, especially with Piggy now involved.

And I do have to agree. The Deven and Jenna storylines are the most interesting to me as you delve deep into the psychological realms. Seems like you're pulling from real life experiences, or you're just really good at imagining what people would be saying, doing, and thinking in these intense situations.

And as interesting as it is to read about the many characters you involve all over the galaxy, I do really latch onto the classic Plot characters (and secondly canon characters) because you do them so accurately, and it's as if you really are writing their future.

All that being said, I can't wait to see some more of your writing in the Plot, because you're a superb Plot writer!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:10 am 

Thanks Corran.

It's all from imagination, though a lot of Jenna's occasional randomness is based around the new Starman in the Justice Society of America series. His tagline is 'Unbalanced cosmic cowboy'.

Glad to see you're keeping up too. :wink:

Currently working on a little something for the main plot to slip in at the end of 15. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:52 am 

Wow! Nice and dark stuff there! I really liked Red's dillema. Looks like she learned a little from Face about how the right thing isn't always the easiest or nicest. Can she live with herself? Of course, the fact that the guy tortured Piggy is a perfectly good reason as far as I'm concerned! Good to see the big green guy in the plot too! Although what mission could he have been on for Face for 2 decades?!

And I wonder who could be at Tralus? :) Do I sense another appearance from a character? And is Jaden going to be making an appearance?

All these questions and more, to be answered (or not) in Book 8 I assume!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:56 am 

You'll have to wait and see. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:59 am 

I should also agree with GH - seeing the canon folks (Luke, Leia, etc) has also been great! Its really kind of seamless between them and 'ours', so to speak.

And Face makes a good point - part of why I got over my initial "NEVER!" reaction to what Red did was Piggy. One of the traits I really ingrained (or hoped to) when I write her is that she does NOT take an attack on someone she considers family lightly, and Piggy certainly falls into that category. The paper XO proved his own violence, and I think Red did in fact make the hard choice.

And you didn't take it too far, I did appreciate that - look forward to seeing how she deals with it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:18 am 

A Star Wars epic without the Skywalker/Solos just wouldn't be Star Wars. The RS plot gets away with it because they tend to be smaller and more constrained, they aren't as galaxy spanning. Whereas, Darkest Days uses a far larger cast and has more divergant storylines so sooner or later movie characters are going to show up somewhere.

Plus it kind of gives the non-movie characters a kind of legitimacy.

As for the Red/Piggy thing, I knew the best way to eliminate Jolar from the proceedings was to kill him, a death in actual combat would grant him a heroic death, but I didn't want that. He was created purely for this kind of situation.

But the question came up, 'What would drive Octavia to do it?

Then reading the recent meditation peices between Piggy and Red i noticed the strong friendship the too were building up. The sort of friendship Red would kill to defend.

Of course, she still has to live with her actions, but that's still ongoing. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:34 pm 

I've finally got a chance to read it through the requisite number of times, and man, was it worth it! Very good stuff, and you did a great job of keeping the "calm before the storm" (as I suspect this would be considered) both relevant and engaging. I found Jenna's encounter with Leia very powerful, and have really enjoyed Deven and Jaina's interactions.

I, too, appreciated the depth you bring out in Red as she finds herself forced to make some of the most uncomfortable decisions you can ask of a military officer. Looks like our Red has what it takes to be a General after all. :)

And since Face already brought it up, I do have to say that I'm looking forward to seeing who Jenna meets on Tralus. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:35 pm 

Yay, after massive delays and some serious personal issues, the newest part of Darkest Days is posted.

Enjoy :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:58 am 

Excellent stuff! Glad the Sacul is cured, although it looks like the rest of the galaxy is screwed.

Also, I wonder whether Dru will be happy staying put on Tralus when there's adventure afoot!

Nice stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:02 am 

Outstanding, as usual! I enjoyed the Deven v. Jaina scene, I think she's a good damping rod for him. It's also always fun watching Jes and Red go and play the responsible fleet CO. ;)

And of course, I couldn't help but read and re-read the Tralus scenes a dozen times or so. ;) I keep catching myself trying to figure out what Dru's got in mind! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:59 pm 

Rest assured, I'm not done with Dru yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:37 am 

Sorry for the delay in responding, but wonderful as usual!

The introduction of Dru is both surprising and familiar, also can't wait to see where that goes.

And a task? Of course Red is up for a risky task!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:12 am 

New part *YAY*

Consider it a slightly late christmas present.

some jokes and easter eggs from multiple sources. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:22 am 

Firstly...

YEY! Jaden! Kid's looking cool too! I loved all the little Easter Eggs too! Jenna's gun took me a second to realise, but made me grin! Excellent stuff as per usual!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:21 pm 

Since I've realised that my previous comment was rather brief... and everyone else seems more keen on discussing the theory behind repulsor technology (which I'm reading, and semi-understanding... just not enough to comment on!), I thought I'd add some more.

And not just because I re-read it on my mobile phone whilst staking out a house yesterday.... honest.

Really liking the way you're weaving multiple plot strands together, but not enough that you can't keep it all in your head. I have to admit, I sometimes get lost in the ground battles, but the space ones are a lot easier to envisage. Perhaps I'm just more familiar with Star Wars space units to visualise! I also really like the fact that you're doing your research! All of the minor characters (or new ones) fit seamlessly into the RS canon. Or, y'know, at least did until we started killing people off!

How long 'til the next part? :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:44 pm 

Next part? Anywhere between a week and a month :D

I'm already working on the outline now.

Strangely enough, the space battles are easier to write. Ground battles have to take into account all sorts of factors when writing them. Terrain, unit deployment and unit types all have to be taken into consideration.

anyway, glad you like.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:47 pm 

I just finished my second full read-through, and completely enjoyed it. The space battle was very easy to follow and visualize, and Red's introspection was well done, especially during her debrief with Pellaeon.

As always, enjoyed the Dru bit. ;)

I was wondering when we'd see Rhen Var pop back up, and was pleasantly surprised to see it! Also, the Facecrew bits were humorous; I enjoyed the external references. Oh, and Janson! Nice to see Doctor Janson making his intro. Definitely looking forward to seeing how that turns out. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:32 am 

This came at the best time for me to need a good read, seeing as a road trip to South Dakota can get a bit dull when you stop with the family at small town hotels. Hooray for free WiFi!

Firstly, you have continued your stunning space battles, which despite being very technical at also very eye catching and easy to read. Not to mention tense! I suspect that this trend will continue :)

I agree with some of the other comments, re: new faces! Great to see Dr. Janson, Dru, and the new interaction between Jaden and Jenna over the last few stories, but especially in this one. Jenna's quest continuation is less stress inducing to me now that Jaden is along!

I also must once again tip my hat to you regarding Red! I really LOVE the parallel between the nightmare scenario I wrote for her recently and the one you are developing. It truly highlights her active subconscious, and the fact that while she might be willing to do what is necessary, there are still consequences. You have me on edge wanting to know how it turns out for her! Plus, my ego loves that you've had her rise so high in the ranks at so young :D.

The firefly references throughout the whole bit were also a great treat. I loved the early ones, especially. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:37 am 
Site Admin

Another great addition to your compendium, Dev. I liked the scene with the mountain climbers and their reasonings for getting away from it all.

Great to see the ol' portly general having a role. Although how he ever got a doctorate is as mysterious as how he ever got promoted to general. Probably an "honorary" title in both cases, as he has the skills and accomplishments to be both yet no interest in actually following someone's course work. Somehow Jason as a mad military inventor in his latter years fits perfectly.

Your descriptions of places, situations, and events reminds of my Asimov's writings. You really paint the picture well. And although your battle scenes are well written, I actually find your descriptions and conversations more intriguing.

"Mr Forehead Vein!" *snerk*

"Ooooh....Lower Back Pain Man" *guffaw*

Aha, caught the "No One Lives Forever" reference. Two of my favorite games of all time. And two of the most little known and underappreciated.

Hahaha, great comedy bit with "The Nameless One."

Although, if I can make a suggestion, perhaps you should post your stories in smaller chunks. That way they're not quite so daunting to read and reply to in such large chunks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:12 am 

Yeah, I need to show some self control and start posting in smaller posts. I just get carried away :D

Wait, what? I made a No One Lives forever reference? What was it? I never played those games.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:53 pm 

New part posted now I've broken away from Fallout 3, COD5 and GTA4.

As requested, now in bite size chunks. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:09 pm 

Sorry for the delay in replying! Actually read the plot on Sunday whilst on the train! Although the bite-sized chunks are nice, ironically, I was slightly disappointed, as I was expecting the plot to last me the whole journey! As it was, I simply scrolled up and read a previous plot to finish the trip!

Wow! Some serious action scenes there, and a death too! I'm liking how you give even the secondary characters motives, etc. The slight fleshing out of the characters really helps the all encompassing feel!

Question is, of course, what's Jenna and Jaden up to now? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:46 pm 

Agreed, great stuff! I was also a bit thrown by the bite-sizéd-ness, but it was definitely a good chunk. You do a good job of keeping action scenes from getting "stale" (I frequently prefer conversational/exposition segments, because they are easier to be "new" each time) and it's always a treat to read them.

I'm getting an inkling as to why Jaina might not want to be on Rhen Var. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:26 pm 

Well, to make up the bite sized nature, here's another one. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:52 pm 

Wow! Halley's got his work cut out for him! And Max Power? That's just wrong! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:16 pm 

Oh boy, I just realised in three months, The Darkest Days will be three years old. :shock:

Next two parts will be longer, but only because I want to get Book Eight completed soon.

I've had some major flashes of inspiration and I've been writing like mad. Current peice is already long than the last part posted and Book eight will end on not one, but two cliffhangers and I want to get them set down while the ideas are fresh in my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:48 am 

Final part of Book Eight is ready for posting. But it's a long one, so I'll hold off a couple more days to give everyone a chance to catch up first.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:04 pm 

Another great segment. I'm worried what the PC has in mind for "the woman..." Definitely leaves one looking for more! Also, yikes, Halley. Aren't you getting too old for this sort of thing? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:10 pm 

Final part of book eight posted.

Book nine will be starting by continuing straight on from the cliff hangers of book eight.

[Quote]
Also, yikes, Halley. Aren't you getting too old for this sort of thing?

Hmm, give's me an idea for something :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:50 pm 

Finally caught up on all of the segments...

AH! What a cliffhanger for me!

Also, as a grad student, I can appreciate how short tempered and in some way disfunctional Octavia is becoming - stress is not good for such things. If you have any questions re: her past or such, feel free to message me (or anything like family, etc) but you seem to have a very firm grip on it :)

Also...the rest? The killer nails thing with Face is crazy. Looking forward to seeing what Halley does in the situation he's been put in. nd as always, the Jenna / Jaina line is definitely keeping my attention. Am slowly starting to get some ideas where that is heading ultimately, but I suspect I am wrong and you will surprise me!

Great as always, loved the bite sized bits. Can't wait for the next book!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:36 pm 

I cannot describe how awesome that was! I read it whilst I was actually supposed to by tidying my office, and had to physically choke down my yelps of delight, lest the wife caught me! (Mish... say not a word!)

Obviously, the Face stuff was my favourite (nice aside about how he's met Bardan Jusik!), his actions in the street, followed by the beginnings of his escape were... just... awesome. Apologies for using the same adjective twice, but there's no other word for it! The Octavia/Piggy stuff was spot-on as usual, as was the small Kai/Corran scene! Brilliant... just, brilliant!

Roll on Book Nine!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:44 pm 

Glad you guys like :D

First part of Book Nine should be along before next week with any luck. So stay tuned.

re: Octavia. I have no idea where I'm going with the Jaina/Jenna storylines yet. I'm narrowed down to three separate outcomes, but I'm undecided on where to go. :? Entirely possible that your suspiscions may not be that far off the mark. :wink:

re:Face. Nothing wrong with using awesome twice in the same post. :lol:
As for the Barden Jusik thing. I figured Face has had significant exposure to Mandalorian culture, he's probably been to Mandalore, entirely possible he encountered Jusik there and Face is pretty sharp. Puts two and two together and makes that magic number four.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:49 pm 

I'm going to go ahead and echo the "wow" and "awesome" comments. Seriously, great stuff. All of the Octavia scenes really pulled me in, and Face's heroics certainly impressed. :)

Since we're playing Q&A, and I'm a horrible person, do we get to see Dru again in Book 9? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:41 am 

Simple answer: Yes. :wink:

Standard answer: Yes, yes you will. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:08 am 

Two quick questions:

1)Did anyone 'Get this' bit?

-----"Genesis?" Ganner said as he entered the common area, "Interesting name"

"Yep" Jaina nodded, "But it does mean that at some point the front will leave and Phil Collins will take over"

"What?" Oddball frowned.

"Actually, technically speaking, Phil Collins would come around from the back" Ganner said as he settled into a seat.

"Oh, right" Jaina nodded, "And Chester Thompson takes over on drums?"

Ganner grinned, "Exactly, and Occasionally Phil Collins would move back round to the back to join in on the drums too"

"What are you taking about?" Oddball looked between the two of them in confusion, "What does this have to do with the ship?"

Jaina shrugged, "What it means is that between the torpedo launchers there is a twenty-five minute keyboard solo"------------

2)Was it worth a laugh? :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:54 am 

1) Yes, I got it. (Although, I was expecting a drumming gorilla joke thrown in)
2) Yes, it was worth it. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:54 am 

that's cool, i was a bit bothered i may have used a brilliant gag I purloined from elsewhere and not got a laugh.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 am 

Whoo-hoo! New book!

Cracking start! As always, loving the Wraith interactions! I'm liking Trinity as the warrior queen, and looking forward to seeing what happens with J and J!

Also, I really enjoyed Halleys prison break! I could almost hear him say that he's "getting too old for this sith!" Or words to that effect!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:56 am 

Hooray! I'm not dead! :) - thankfully, I was not expecting Red to go out so easily, and you did not disappoint!

Also? Not to be toooooo egocentric, but you mirrored the nigthmare plot I did with Red (when she first starts having them after her kidnapping) in a WONDERFUL way - it was pretty much exactly what Red had dreamed of doing to Levatt, but the unfortunate soul being pounded was her would be assasin. Thank goodness for Piggy to remind her she has meditation and coping mechanisms that don't involve homicide!

As for the J&J plot, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing just what happens once this doctor is located (which might not be good considering the dark implications of such).

To mirror Face, Trinity as warrior queen was also awesome. As was the Halley breakout plot. The detail of the droid encounters was very well done.

Kudos! You already have me fixing for my next hit of this plot. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:03 pm 

This might make me a horrible person, but this was probably my favorite part:

Darkest Days 9.0 wrote:
"What the hell happened to your hands? Did they pull your finger nails as a form of torture?"

Face hesitated, "Yeeeaaaahhh! That's exactly what happened"

As usual, a thrilling read! I particularly enjoyed the Lianna scenes -- your handling of Halley is quite compelling. Great work!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:39 pm 

I'm guessing this was intended, and I found the Korvata character thoroughly unlikeable. You did a good job of setting that up; make him a criminal, then a mercenary, and then have him play the "just following orders" card. Very effective, I think.

While I can't be surprised at all that Jenna "finished the job," I have to say that I am starting to take the title of book 9 as a portent of things to come. ;)

Interesting how, even amongst clandestine organizations bent on taking over the galaxy, there's still room for power grabbing by the higher ranks. ;) I'm definitely interested to see how the Society turns out once properly exposed.

Also, I have a bad feeling about poor Jaina.

All in all, a great, if rather foreboding, segment!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:38 pm 

To mirror Dru, the title of 9 certainly does seem to be a bit foreboding -

I wonder why no one ever sees the elimination of player in the evil plot? Although I give you credit...that was a particularly grotesque form of elimination. I was not expecting the Nexu, but couldn't stop reading!

As for Jaina and Oddball...eeep! I am on edge waiting to see the next stage they are drawn into.

Jenna: Don't go to Rhen Var!!!! (covers eyes with fingers, but peeks through anyway).

VERY well done, as always! The shorter, bite-sized bits make for MUCH easier reading and a MUCH easier time keeping up with everyone. Kudos!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:56 am 

Thanks guys, good to see you're keeping up :lol:

Yes, the title is very forboding, but I didn't even decide on it until just before posting. I think it fits perfectly.

The Nexu was one of several choices I was thinking about. Over forms of death infliction were fletchette grenades dropping from the ceiling, poisions (Several different and nasty effects) and droid firing squad.

Yes, the bite sized parts are easier to read, but also to write. :lol: I get them posted sooner and can take a little break from writing before starting on the following part. When doing the long ones, I write and write and write and my fingers fall off. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:06 am 

Once more, I shall echo my colleagues! Always good to see Jaden (of course), especially with the hint that his mothers side is about to come out!

Loving the setting up of things to come! The Society death scene was particularly enjoyable!

*moves Red's hands away from her eyes so she can see properly*

:) Keep it up!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:36 pm 

New part has made it's way on.

More scene setting taking place. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:23 pm 

*DANCES* You know why!

Also, while it is more of a transitional plot, good as always. It is definitely building some tension and really fun to See Janson picking away in the lab.

Loved the "smoke" lesson :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:05 am 

Yey! Jaden with a lightsaber. That's enough to make any plot, and to scare the bejebus out of the bad guys. Also, I liked the name of his ship!

Ominous stuff on Skye there, as well as with Jaina and the gang. Scene setting it might be... but what a scene!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:48 pm 

Phew! What a busy couple of weeks; I finally got time to actually sit and give the whole thing a proper reading.

Excellent stuff, as usual! I'm interested to see what the PC has for Jaina, or if she's failed her first and only test already, as well as what Skye has in store for the New Republic. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:36 pm 

Once again, after a hefty delay, I should have a new part up in the next couple of days.

We apologise for the inconvinence. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:56 pm 

A glorious return!

Nice to see more of Face/Deven and Dru/Trinity working together on various missions. I'm starting to get some ideas of how storylines might begin to merge and such, but you're probably going to surprise me!

Great writing as always, and well worth any wait!

:D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:10 am 

I agree, always good to see familiar faces working together. Also, for some reason, I really liked Jaden's callsign!

Also, is it just me, or does the 'agent' Dru was talking to seem a little more 'special' than a normal agent..? Could this be ANOTHER Rogue/Wraith offspring joining the mix?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:51 am 

The Face wrote:
I agree, always good to see familiar faces working together. Also, for some reason, I really liked Jaden's callsign!

Also, is it just me, or does the 'agent' Dru was talking to seem a little more 'special' than a normal agent..? Could this be ANOTHER Rogue/Wraith offspring joining the mix?

Actually, I hadn't planned on that. She's just his most capable agent.....or is she? :|

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:29 am 

I wondered something similar to Face, but I feel like usually you drop a few more hints than you did just now. ;) Regardless, great comeback! I particularly enjoyed Face getting outmaneuvered by Deven, and of course Dru's scene. :D

Good movement all around on the various plotlines; I'm looking forward to what's next!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:18 am 

Glad everyone is still liking things as well as keeping up. :D

Some shocks and surprises coming up in the next part which will skip ahead around a week and then cover something like that same period of time. I guarantee at least one wow!tm moment.

Maybe more. :wink:

As for this whole Offspring of Dru, I hadn't actually though about it. The agent was originally going to be male of some non-human species, but during the planning for the next part, I decided to change the agents role and that particular section with Dru got a rewrite.

I am open to ideas regarding offspring though, hint hint.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:14 pm 

Such a subtle hinting, you have, sir.

Looking forward to the next bits!

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:31 am 

*Wonders how many saw this surprise coming* 8)

Other than the Red haired one who suggested it :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 pm 

I kinda guessed it would be heading that way, but I have to admit, I liked the surprise when it happened!

Loving the Terah family, loving the Jaden/Jenna story line, basically really enjoying this! So... how many Rogue or Wraiths kids is this? Three so far (not including all the little Tarns!)? Possibly a fourth on the way if Dru has anything to do with it! Any more? Rrowv got a little cub somewhere? Hell, in a few years, it'll Rogue Squadron, the next generation! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:28 pm 

Rrowv with a cub (or even cubs) who knows :lol:

Still got some surprises, coming up, though how much a surprise in some cases is debatable due to the deductive abilities of some here. :wink:

There is one that I bet you won't see coming.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next