Rogue Squadron Board

Welcome to the Rogue Squadron Community.
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:52 am 

Since there has been NO activity for several days... I thought I'd kick off another one of these. As seven pages IS a bit much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:37 am 

I was thinking that part VI was getting a bit long. I had the first message on three of those pages though so I was kinda trying to see how many more I could get. Beaten to the much coveted First Post by one though :/ zounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

I, for one, welcome our ant overlords.

(Must start this random thought topic off on the right foot)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:20 am 

Spawn more overlords!

Wait...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:30 am 

Spoon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:47 pm 

There is no spoon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:58 pm 

The cake is a lie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:07 pm 

A friend of mine had Cake Pie for his birthday. Personally, I'm not sure if that's awesome or worrying!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:33 pm 

Cake pie....? This confuses me. Is it rather like Boston Cream Pie, which is really a cake?

Me: If you strangle me first, I'll be dead for the kiss, so you'd better do it the other way around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:24 am 

No... it was an actual cake inside pastry! Genius!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:40 pm 

Can you be more specific? What kind of cake? Was filling/frosting involved and how? The pastry chef side of me is dying to understand this!

Me: If you strangle me first, I'll be dead for the kiss, so you'd better do it the other way around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:16 am 

Urm...

No idea, but here's the image!

Attachments:
CakePie.jpg
CakePie.jpg [ 42.76 KiB | Viewed 105319 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:35 am 

And on an completely different note... have just ordered THREE Star Wars books! True Colors, Death Star and Inferno!

Yey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:52 pm 

Nice face, are they prequel era or what? I've totally stopped reading the EU, once the vong war ended I just fell out of the loop.

On another note, I was poking around an old hard drive and found that 'save the last dance' video from your wedding! Good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:32 pm 

Face, that both sounds AND looks amazing. Who is this friend of yours, with his/her ingenious food choices?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:51 pm 

Cake... in pie crust... Strange. I mean, I like both, but I really eat the two of them so that I can have the fillings (or frosting as long as it's chocolate and not buttercream).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:02 pm 

Uhh yeah, what Shadow said.

Pie-cake is like sandwich made of white bread on a hard roll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:53 am 

first post running Mandriva, lets hope this works out better than ubuntu ;) so far so good though, recommended to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:30 am 

Out of curiousity, what are you liking about Mandriva?

I'm still planning to run Gentoo on the machine I'll be finishing here in the next few weeks, but I am curious to hear what you have to say. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:23 pm 

I just installed it in the last 48 hours and its going fine so far. The interface is similar enough to windows such that I can navigate without too much trouble. Unlike ubuntu which I was running before, mandriva has far more features built in - drivers for everything, out-of-box WEP encryption capability, the full open office suite, the works. It took 15 minutes to install and everything *just worked* on bootup.

The ONLY problem I'm having is figuring out how to tune down my mouse sensitivity! I found the mouse settings in the 'control panel' but it doesn't have any option to turn down the speed, as far as I can tell. But that's really a very minor issue. Overall I'd definitely recommend it. DL it for free, burn to dvd, and twenty minutes later you're running linux.

oh - and it detected my windows install on another partition and automatically installed a boot loader to give me the linux vs windows option on startup. Just for emergencies its good to know I can crawl back to windows whenever :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:25 pm 

Interesting, when's the last time you tried Ubuntu? I installed the latest version of Ubuntu (7.10) on my laptop a few weeks ago, and it has everything you just mentioned, except it sounds like Mandriva is running KDE, not Gnome. Ubuntu does take a little longer to install, though, because it downloads all but the core packages, to cut down on the number of upgrades necessary once the install is done.

FYI, I'm a total Linux nut, and asking these questions out of sheer curiosity. ;) I started out with Ubuntu a few years ago, and have moved on to Gentoo for my desktop systems, because I like the option to compile everything myself, how I want it when I went it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:40 pm 

I installed ubuntu right before I went to europe so I guess it was around may ish. They might have released a new build since then, I dunno. And yah, I'm running kde because that's what I have the most experience in. I'm a complete linux n00b besides my limited ubuntu experience though. I'm trying to switch off windows permanently for all the obvious reasons and I'm just experimenting now trying to find the most user friendly 'just works' linux build. Most of the issues I'm having with mandriva are related to the fact that I just don't know my way around it yet..little things really. the mouse issue...my laptop has sound control buttons on it that only seem to work with winamp and don't in linux, I can't find the power settings to set my laptop to go to sleep when closed, things like that. I'm sure I'll figure them out once I play with it a bit more. At this current moment I'm taking a shameless break from a 10 page essay on yugoslavia that I've been putting off for the last six months so I don't really have time to muck around with linux! Hit me up on aim sometime so I can mooch some free tech support ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:27 am 

7:30 a.m., and I just finished an epic 10-pager! Thanks to GH for his newspaper editor skills. In an IM, he can't tell "your" from "you're," but if it's on paper, then darn if he ain't the best editor in Middle Earth!
Cheers, G-cran.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats, Myn-man! You must have pulled off a Falcon-sized load of work after I left in order to get the rest of that paper written in just an hour-and-a-half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:20 pm 

How come Murphy's law is so strong?

Oh, of course people will have stupid spells during the most stressful period ever, and at the same time my ITS department would be woefully understaffed to try and address the resulting chaos of technonoly...

PS - if anyone ever feeds ripped...lined...paper into a printer....and wonders why it jammed....do not tell me of such things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:26 pm 

I'll give my collection of 24 mint condition limited edition Pepsi TPM cans to anyone who can write a twelve page paper on nato in the next, um, 15 hours :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:00 am 

:P

Last edited by Myn Donos on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:26 pm 

From the long suppressed but randomly decompressed memory banks of Myn Donos, circa ~1994 ish

Myn is giving a book report on the original Rogue Squadron novel:

Myn: The book and story in general is of course set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
Teacher: Wait, we don't even go galaxy hopping now, [her exact words, I swear] let alone a long time ago
Myn: But...its...you...how...notreal...<head explodes>

Wow I hated that teacher so much. Any other horror stories or am I the only one who gave star wars book reports at 8 years young?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:38 pm 

I don't recall any book reports, but I did write Star Wars fanfic and submit it for projects in a creative writing class. Luckily, my teacher was cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:15 pm 

My father once said:

Public education takes a child's inherent natural God given love for any subject and just totally crushes it.

I gave more than my share of oral book reports that ended with the phrase "But I'll let you read it yourself because I don't want to give away the ending."

Which of course meant I hadn't read the book at all and was giving the whole report based on what was printed in the blurb on the back cover which I'd only glanced at on the bus ride in that morning.

In 6th grade I gave a book report on the novelization of the film
'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'.

Not the original novel mind you, the movie adaptation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:39 pm 

Never gave a Star Wars book review... but a friendship that lasted a decade began when the other guy did a review on "Dark Force Rising" the second Zahn novel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:32 pm 

Your dad's comment sounds a little flippant to me, Piggy! I hope that you don't really think that about education! The whole point of school is surely to encourage any inherent interest, and indeed foster other interests, not the other way around!

Never done a Star Wars book review, but yesterday Mark finished the latest (Fury?) and pronounced it awesome, and that the next book in the series will be awesomer, so I am looking forward to reading it!

Also, I just realised, I dropped my laptop over at his house last night so I actually won't be online at all now, as no-one else in my house has Skype or AIM, so unless you have MSN (I'm TheAuthor42@hotmail.com ) I'll see you after Jan 22nd!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, Myn, that's terrible.

And, Mish, I think Piggy's mainly referring to public education. And when it comes to the Los Angeles Unified School District (largest and worst in the nation) where I grew up, I heartily agree. Hence why I was homeschooled until I entered a public college halfway through high school and found myself teaching my classmates the basics of paper writing and note taking (two things I rarely had to do in homeschool). Public schools there are prison factories pumping out drones with the lowest common denominator of education and motivation. They even look like prison factories, with gray-pink exteriors, bars on the windows and exhaust stacks and surrounded by miles of chainlink fences topped by barbed wire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:29 pm 

Oh right, I thought he was talking about education in general, ha ha spot the wannabe teacher right?! I don't know nuthin' about the US educational system... but public schools in the UK are, in fact, the private ones. Uhm. You have to pay to go to them. Or something. It's confusing. Sorry for the misunderstanding!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:27 am 

I've done the whole private education too and lemme tell you, its just as bad, if not worse, than public. Far more rigid, the "sit down shut up listen up" mentality is everywhere. No room for growth at all.

People complain about modern education but we have to keep it in perspective. No matter what's going on in schools today we're still light years past the 19th century school houses with a crazy headmaster whipping one of his 300 students for not doing his homework.

The entire education system needs a massive overhaul. I've always said we should go back to the master/apprentice system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:58 am 
Site Admin

Aye, education systems do need a lot of help.

However, Myn, there is also a big difference between large private universities and small ones. The small one I went to (4-5000 undergrads and grads) had small class sizes (10-30 people on average), close-knit students, and professors who really cared about helping you grow in your education and as a person in general. For the most part, it was a positive experience for me, although they could have focused less on the theoretical and more on the practical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:57 pm 

True; I was referring more to the pre-university level institutions though like elementary through high school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:46 pm 

Survived yet another semester...sorry for my lack of activity this last month. Classes suddenly got insane, mixed in along with the musical and work and what have you. I'm back...again.

Beginning to catch up on the plot now.

As a side note, I FINALLY finished reading the Chronicles of Narnia books Anna got me almost 2 years ago. So I started reading Legacy of the Force: Betrayal. It's nice to be able to read recreationally again.

My goal is to be all caught up on the plot by tomorrow...Christmas Eve at the latest. Luckily I only missed a month this time. Not a full year like the last time I was away :D

So for all of those who thought you had gotten rid of me again...sorry, I'm never leaving :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:42 am 
Site Admin

<duct tapes Halley to chair>

<duct tapes Halley's face to monitor>

READ!

(Oh, and congrats on finishing the semester! And on finishing a great book series)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:42 pm 

This is my 1138th post :D :D :D

How is LotF Halley? I stopped reading everything EU after the NJO ended. LotF is the whole correllian war / sith jacen storyline or something right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:29 pm 

So I've heard, Myn, yeah. I'm not that far into the book yet. I only bought Betrayal because it was written by Allston. Then I found out he wrote the 4th and 7th books in the series also, so I'll probably wind up getting the whole series.

So far Betrayal is quite good though. I know Face has been keeping up with the series (he was reading Book 5, Sacrifice during the Great RS Meet of 2007) so you can ask him if it's truly as good as I hope it will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:13 am 

*Depressed sigh*

Well, my hard drive is fried. I really have no one to blame but myself. I leave the computer on 24 hours a day. I'm only especially frustrated though because my Dad and I were going to back everything up this week.

7 years of RS stories, drafts, ideas, minor inklings all possibly down the drain...

Did I mention I'm slightly depressed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:24 am 
Site Admin

<anguished cry> :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:29 am 

If you don't mind spending a little money, you could take the hard drive to a data recovery specialist, and he'll get back everything that was on it. It's very unlikely that your hard drive is damaged beyond such recovery. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:32 am 

from what I've heard, data recovery off a bad drive is extremely expensive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:36 am 

Yeah, and I haven't looked into the price. I know it's fairly expensive, but as there's probably nothing at all wrong with the disks, I wouldn't think the recovery would be that difficult. Odds are what fried is the controller or some of the hardware that actually does the read/writing. The disks themselves are very resilient; it takes a lot to wreck them. Plus, his data hasn't been deleted or anything like that, so it should be as "simple" as putting the disks into a new chassis, or something.

Point is, it's something that he might consider looking in to, and if it's too steep, he can skip it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:55 pm 

Well, managed to get a 300GB hard drive at Fry's this morning for $44...amazing deal, I know.

My dad and I plan to install the new one tonight and see what we can salvage from the old one. I have an old old computer that runs on Windows 98 that can act as a fairly good base for some recovery of files, but I'm afraid to say I never backed up my current computer. My old old one should have a lot of my RS writings from before I went to college. Hopefully that can get me to at least Plot 6...maybe even as far as Plot 9. I just thought it would be nice to save all that stuff having to do with my younger days, and my creative process.

I'll look into recovery prices and stuff, Dru. GH and I talked about it last night. At the very least I'll keep the old drive around. Perhaps one day in the coming years some brand new technology will be out there to make recovery cheaper and easier. I know the files aren't lost forever. They're just extremely inaccessible at the moment.

And, I still have to hold on to the hope that I'll be able to recover something from the hard drive tonight...with my dad's help.

Egad I need to become more computer literate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:18 am 
Site Admin

Dealing with a computer problem is where you learn the most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:49 am 

General Corran Horn wrote:
Dealing with a computer problem is where you learn the most.

Eventually, you start inventing new problems so you have to deal with them! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:40 pm 

General Corran Horn wrote:
Dealing with a computer problem is where you lose the most hair and years off your life.

fixed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:24 am 

This is going to sound silly, so I'll try and de emphasize said sillyness by doing a handstand while I type the following question:

Does anyone know what plot I last wrote in? I'm trying to go back to the last plot I wrote in so I can read forwards from there (rather than just browing backwards which is mildly confusing) but your guys' prolific writing is making that a more difficult than I originally thought :)....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:30 am 

Nevermind, I found it-- had to go back five plots to find it. My oh my you guys have been busy little Rodian's haven't you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:10 am 

We try ever so hard :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:22 pm 

I <3 Transformers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:32 am 

I got Cathy to watch the Transformers film the other day. She was actually quite impressed! Yey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:17 am 

so I just reread the WS trilogy again over break and I'm just wondering...

does anyone else think Zsinj was modelled, at least slightly, on Napoleon? Something about his description - short and stocky - combined with his ego and quest for power just screamed Nappy to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:03 pm 

There are several military dictators that fit the description in all honesty, but yeah, I think you've got a good theory there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:06 pm 

I would agree with that sentiment as well Myn, especially since Napoleon kind of declared himself Emperor just as Zsinj was a self declared Warlord.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:56 pm 

I hate cover letters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:43 am 

TPS reports got you down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:32 am 

Juno is awesome.

Go see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:47 pm 

Also an argh to Indian Preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:44 pm 

Is it bad if you're driving down the 210 Freeway in the left lane, and a Honda (a SLOW Honda) is in front of you, and you imagine yourself thumbing your lasers to quad link and stitching his trunk with laser fire?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:22 pm 

Only if you're imagining you're flying an A-Wing... then you've got too many lasers. If you're flying an imaginary X-Wing, then it's perfectly OK.

Have you thought of using torps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:27 pm 

No it's definitely an X-Wing. And I just kinda wanted to move out of the way, not destroy him completely; figured a little bit of laser scorching on his tail end would provide adequate incentive :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:11 pm 

You could always flash him with your lights...X-wings have those too :wink:

But then again...lasers would be so much more awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:14 pm 

R2D2!

Attachments:
R2andMesmall.jpg
R2andMesmall.jpg [ 95.2 KiB | Viewed 104045 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:18 pm 

SOOOO AWESOMEEEE OMG!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:26 pm 

I know! I was so excited. I was down in the Cities this weekend (St. Paul, MN) to help my sister and we were just driving around and we ran into TWO of them! I had no idea there were any near me. I made her drive us back the next day so I could get pictures :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:33 pm 

I want one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:07 am 
Site Admin

Sweet! They actually didn't rip out all the street corner mailboxes in your city!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 am 

Beats even the traditional British Red Postbox! Sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:41 pm 

I have Skype!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:54 am 

Location: The Land of Rising with the Sun, I mean Land of the Rising Sun
Yay! We can talk to Callista!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:14 am 

OMG I LOVE CALL OF DUTY 4... so addictive....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:03 pm 

*squees for Sweeny Todd* But, yeah, don't see it if you're at all squeamish about blood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:35 pm 

see it for the song "Joanna". It's eerily awesome. W00t to Sondheim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:25 pm 

Lots of blood and head crunching, yes.

But oh, oh oh...SO GOOD!

Plus I am a huge Burton fan and insanely jealous of the costumes that his team came up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:50 pm 

Screw those reasons for going to see it! I can name but one which eclipses all others: Johnny Depp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:26 pm 

I seriously need to see it, but because I'm a fan of the original show, although I don't like the fact Johnny Depp is Sweeney for a number of reasons, one being it means fangirls at the theater and the other issue I have is that he looks too young for the role. But that's just my opinion, despite the fact I haven't seen it yet. Red, I so agree the costumes are amazing and I wish I had them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:24 am 

omg... i keep on thinking there is someone standing right behind me all the time at work.... it's CREEPING ME OUT....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:23 am 

Be careful Ran.. it could be a Ninja.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:10 pm 

I don't think it's worth posting a new thread over, but just thought I'd pop in and say hi. I'm still around. :eek:

I started taking classes at the local community college this winter semester and so far I am enjoying it. As I type this I'm waiting for my astronomy class to start in about a half hour. This is the first time I've taken this kind of organized/formal schooling and I am enjoying it so far. :D

So now I'll disappear again, but I'm sure I'll be keeping an eye out... It's cool to see everybody else still around. :)

*salutes*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:41 pm 

Welcome to the art of posting on message boards while it looks like you're paying attention to the prof ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:10 pm 

Right on. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:52 am 
Site Admin

Edor! Great to see you back! And don't let community college pull you away. We've all found the board to be a great break from higher education.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:43 pm 

It's true...I'm using it to avoid doing homework right now.

And now still...

Yep...still using it to get away from work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:22 pm 

I'm Dru, and I write plots on slow days at work.

...I also calculate power/volume ratios for starships and sort out proper armaments in spreadsheets that LOOK like work, just in case I get snuck up upon. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:21 pm 

Dru, I often wonder whether you actually get work done! The amount of figuring and calculations we've done!

Of course... the same COULD be said for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

I could use a job like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:21 pm 

My job, I've found, requires little enough thought that even if I can't be actively working on an RS project, I can be thinking about it. As a result, during slow times when I have time to chat and figure, I've already got a lot done in my head, so we can get a lot more accomplished!

It's actually a blessing and a curse, as it means my job is really dull most of the time. I do actually do work, though. Honest. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:24 pm 

For me, days are fairly quiet at work at the moment.

There isn't a high demand for pints to be pulled and drinks to be poured every hour of the day, so I get a lot of time for thinking and (if I can find a working pen) making notes.

Never trust a man who, when left alone with a tea cozy, does not try it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:18 am 

Best bumper sticker ever: "my kid is the bomb at Islam Elementary"

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:41 am 

Ow my sides hurt! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:46 pm 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080204/od ... oryoffbeat

23% of Britons now believe Winston Churchill was a myth and that Sherlock Holmes was real?

For all our English members...is this true???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:19 am 

Halley Kadorto wrote:
For all our English members...is this true???

I'd like to say "no" (as I obviously know who's false and real...) But dealing with the amount of idiots in our society, many of whom have no idea about ANYTHING, it's actually quite possible!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:43 am 

Well speaking for us yanks,
I am one of many people who can't beleive Bill Clinton was President.

I am most intrugued by the 3% who seem to think Dickens was a fictional character. (like JK Rowling) Perhaps they are confusing him with David Copperfield? Or they might beleiv it to be a non de plume like how Mark Twains real name was Samuel Clemens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:12 pm 

No, Piggy, people are just idiots. And it doesn't matter where you go, people are always idiots. Damned people...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:33 pm 

I'm not even going to touch this conversation with a double bladed lightsaber

*backs away from impending political debate*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:01 am 

Kai wrote:
No, Piggy, people are just idiots. And it doesn't matter where you go, people are always idiots. Damned people...

I wholeheartedly agree and here's more proof from a fun* little sci-fi movie of the late 90's.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." Kay - Men in Black

*Fun - by no definition a good movie but highly entertaining and enjoyable to watch, especially with other people around to crack jokes about the film.

Granted MIB was not that bad of a film but it's still pretty cheesy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:08 am 
Site Admin

And I'm still trying to block MIB 2 from my memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:33 am 

Ha ha, no, there's no politics to it Myn! Just far too many years working in retail, combined with a generally cynical personality, I think.

Ohmygod, I love MiB! Both of them! When are they going to make a third! Trilogies are in vogue, right?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:42 am 

I hear ya girl,

Back in the early 90's I did my retail stretch in a record store
Any of you whipper snappers remember what records were?
(black plastic discs that music came out of)

Anyway the manger was fond of saying
"The customer is always right."

to which the assistiant manger invariable replied:
"The customer is always a mouth breathing idiot."

There were exceptions to this rule of course, but not many.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:29 pm 

If it helps make you feel less old, piggy, I used to own a pair of turntables and mixer when I was attempting to become a superstar dj ;) I sold them a while ago though for emergency Europe cash...plus digital CDJ turntables are so much better in every way shape and form. But I still love vinyl and miss it :/ The only vinyl I kept when I sold the whole set was Beethoven's symphony collection conducted by Toscanini (sp) and a first pressing of Sasha's hit Wavy Gravy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:36 pm 

My dad still has his whole record collection and his turntable. He needs a preamp for it, but it's there. We used to listen to records all the time, before CDs were popular.