Rogue Squadron Board

Welcome to the Rogue Squadron Community.
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:49 am 

PS - Tom and I have a Wii, but still no MarioKart or onlineness. But we did discuss after getting through the move that having the game/internets would be considered. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:28 pm 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_japan_sm ... ramen_bowl

This could bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "playing the worlds smallest violin"

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

Of all the things to create with that highly-advanced technology, they create the world's smallest ramen bowl.

w00t!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:08 am 

Yes it is very small and still, one serving in that
bowl counts for 18 points with Jenny Craig.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Jenny Craig's a tyrant.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:24 am 
Site Admin

So I was just looking at a calendar photo of one of those typical autumn scenes. You know, the ones that are taken in either New Hampshire or Vermont and always feature the cute little village, the white steepled church, and the surrounding red/orange/yellow woods. Now, I haven't actually compared all those typical photos side-by-side, but I'm wagering that they're all actually of the exact same village. And if the arrangement of the buildings do vary, then maybe they're all movable, like a Hollywood set. But that aside, it's probably also in Michigan, because in reality, Vermont and New Hampshire are likely just frozen wastelands. Again, I'm just conjecturing because I've visited neither state, but the only photos I ever see of them are that one stereotypical scene. It's just a brilliant tourism ploy to get people to actually go up there. And the people who live in that Michigan town are probably sick of the scenery by now and are just thinking, "Gah, if only we could pave it all over with a strip mall."

Anyone with me on this?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:59 am 

The cost of creating a 'Hollywood set' would be ridiculously expensive for some generic calendar. Way out of the budgetary restrictions of most local tourism boards. Much easier to just go out and find a town and shoot it then maybe use a bit of digital airbrushing (just like the Sports Illustrated calendar) to remove things like stop signs and telephone wires to amp up the 'quaintness quotient'.

Every community has its little historical society dedicated to preserving archetypical architecture. The similarities you see are the result a definitive style from the period combined with the limited palette use by modern day restorers in preserving these buildings. Buildings of a certain style often find their way onto a 'preserved' list due to their relationship to the legacy of a particular architect (i.e. Frank Lloyd Wright), while other styles built by someone less famous and deemed less worthy (i.e. Earl J Hoffman) may disappear entirely.

As to the provenance of the images themselves, I'm sure the marketing types who approve the photographers work and design the calendar itself are working from a preconceived template that will enhance that sense of sameness intended to unifiy the calendar as a product.

Consider other types of calendars such as ones that feature generic pictures of automobiles. They are going to include the classics such as the '57 Thunderbird, '63 Chevrolet Corvette, or the '66 Ford Cobra, but never a '75 Buick Skylark. Car pix are almost universally taken from the 3/4 front profile, with the exception being the Corvette which is going to be a rear end shot to show off the iconic tail lights and the split window.

The commonality you have perceived is one not due to an act of malicious trickery but rather the artistic laziness that takes iconic images and overuses them until they become stereotypes and clichés.

Rest assured that in years past Norman Rockwell and Currier & Ives painted from life.
There are still such places in the US of A just as there are anywhere.

If you've ever been to Europe the sense of history there is dumbfounding compared to what we yanks consider an 'old' historical site. 200 years? Feh! Cologne Cathedral in Germany began construction over 1000 years ago and took longer to build than the US has been a country.

Yes Michigan is crowded near its populations centers like the capital the port cities. I'm sure there is more rustic scenery to be found if you know where to look for it.

I live in upstate NY and there are quaint farms and villages with civil war & revolutionary war era historical preserved landmarks as far as the eye can see (God its depressing!)
Not every square foot of land here has been overrun with franchise mega shops like Starbucks and Walmart.

Its a 2 hour drive from Manhattan to the state capital of Albany and another 4 hours to the far western edge of the state in Buffalo. As God is my witness, there isn't jack squat between those 3 points on the map except the odd town nestled along the Mohawk river that sprung up to shelter the workers of a factory built in the 20's or 30's that need the river for thousands of acres of farmland, interrupting millions of acres of 'purple mountain majesties'.

New Jersey is very crowded but even my beloved Garden State much maligned thought it be for its iconic refineries which are all too visible from the Parkway that leads to the Meadowlands sports complex and Newark airport, still lives up to its name if you care to drive more than a dozen or so miles off the Turnpike. Spring Lake, Deal, Rumson, Colts Neck, and Red Bank are all places I've lived near that have some fantastically beautiful vistas and historic farm villages.

Don't fall for the myth of urban sprawl. Its cut from the same cloth as 'global warming'.

Are you familiar with the archaic term megalopolis?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopolis
Back in the day it was believed that the rapid expansion of the nation's largest cities (like NYC & DC) would eventually create a mega city that spanned the east coast all the way from Boston as far south as Atlanta. This idea had been widely promulgated since the late 50's (I was taught about it in school circa 1973) and is quite likely the basis for George Lucas's concept of the 'city planet' Coruscant.

Needless to say it didn't happen, and won't in the foreseeable future. There simply aren't as many people being born as there use to. Think about this. Up until WWII most families had more than 5 kids. That pretty much ended with the baby boomers, who are the largest single recorded demographic group. Today they are just entering their 60's or pushing 70. Their children did not have 5 kids in the 1970's & 80's. They had 2 or 3 on average, and today thanks to the contraceptive mentality their kids are only having 1 or 2 if any.

Statistics show that the United States would be losing population (meaning more people dying in a day than are born) if it weren't for immigration (both legal and otherwise)

Gee I really dragged that one off point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Gee, someone took my random thought seriously ;-) Although you failed to mention Kinkade as an example of stereotypical, iconic, and lazy art. On a side note, he actually looked at buying the art department I went through and turning it into a Thomas Kinkade school, but after one look at our throughly contemporary, LA-art-scene-influenced works, he decided against it. He was the most hated artist in our department, although when we found out he was enrolling his daughter, we decided we'd better cut back on our comments, lest we make her entire stay miserable.

I do agree that urban sprawl is a subject of panic with little reality in the U.S. Civilized, healthy societies with lower mortality rates do tend to have fewer children, and in some countries in Europe, the population is actually shrinking. As for cities growing and growing without limits until they all merge into one, too many people dislike the idea for it to actually happen. It does happen to some degree in large metropolises like LA and San Francisco/San Jose as they swallow up all the surrounding towns, but an enormous trend in those areas is well-educated, entrepreneur people moving in droves to less urbanized areas, like Arizona, Nevada, and Idaho (the three fastest growing states in the U.S.), and building their lives and businesses in much smaller but rapidly-growing cities. As technology (especially the internet) allows people in rural areas to enjoy most of the modern comforts of cities plus the added benefits of less crime, less crowding, less pollution, cheaper real estate, friendlier people, and easier access to outdoor recreation, cities are becoming more and more decentralized. People don't have to live in a big city to enjoy a great (and sometimes superior) quality of life.

I don't know how much that is happening on the eastern seaboard, and I do see how the idea of a megalopolis is easier to believe there with the population being higher and much more densely packed together (especially in New Jersey), but in the West, aside from the some of the California coastal areas, big cities are few and far between, separated by vast stretches of wilderness with plenty of room for entrepreneurs to establish new population centers. Heck, I enjoy all the comforts of civilization living here now in Boise (moved up here from LA three years ago), yet it's still a six-hour drive in any direction before I hit any city of equal or greater size.

Glad you got off point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:32 pm 

Well the original subject was photography
When I think of lazy commecial art I think of Jim Davis the creator of Garfield.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:25 pm 

I suppose the internet itself is a good simulacra for the fearsome idea of urban sprawl. Indeed it is the 'virtual megalopolis'.

For it is as if, as you read this, that we are both in the same room (the RSBoard) which is just one of many located on this particular floor of a skyscraper which we call 'SW fandom'. It is marked not by the pen scratchings of its indigenous scribes, but the 'chicklet' sound of computer keyboards, and a few blurted OMGz & LOLz.

Some of us occasionally visit other floors. (501st, R2 Builders)
Most of us only visit here every few days or so choosing to spend most of our time in other buildings which house online schools, banks or stores, even political and faith-based institutions.

We are conveniently located right next to the LOTR building and only a short 'trek' across town to the 'enterprise' zone. We might stop in for a bite at Miliways if there's time before the universe ends. After hours we might go clubbing at the old LEX or the new Galactica. When trouble starts (and you know it will) there is a large blue police box on the corner.

There is a quote from the movie Buckaroo Banzai "No matter where you go, there you are." but that only implies you can't run away from your self. Here we see that I don't need to get up from my chair to visit with you and be your friend. Yes, actual physical contact is preferable but we have all become members in a global village where it doesn't matter where we are, (or even when) as long as we are all here... from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:50 am 

Yay! It's back, and we can actually post! ;)

Piggy, I really like your description there, and that's something I've thought about quite a bit, too. The real shame is how many people treat the Internet like "just another computer game" or something equally as derisive.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:14 pm 

At lunch today a lively discussion about 'Call of Duty 4' came to an abrupt halt when one of the half dozen summer interns admitted he had never played any VGs. The rest were unable to cope with an engineering student who wasn't a gamer until I said: "Just think of him as a SIMS LARP-er."

I had to explain to the non-VG'er that meant he had a 'real life'.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:29 pm 

*whoooosh*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:13 am 

Was that the 'it went over my head' noise, or 'nothing but net'?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:45 am 

Fasting for blood work, is no fun.

Especially when you have a needle phobia and all it does is remind you - "Hey, you're going to be jabbed with a needle later! Fun!"

I'm actually not hyper for once, because I haven't had food since 9pm last night.

*grumbles*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:32 pm 

On the topic of fasting,
I recently stumbled across the least healthly diet... ever.

I was experiencing some discomfort after a minor proceedure, and my doctor proscribed some painkillers to keep me functional at work while I healed. As a side effect of the meds I was immediately unable to keep ANYTHING down. (That's not the diet part)

I called up the doc and explained, so to see if it really was the meds he suggested that I take about 3x's the recommended dosage of Ibuprophen. Did that for 5 days, found out later he only meant for it to be the one time. Well, I'm a big guy. I can take it. Liver failure be damned!

My appetite simply dissapeared. I was able to refuse food without a second thought for almost a week. In that time I was having maybe a slice of toast, with a small cup of juice for breakfast, no lunch at all, and maybe half of my normal portion of dinner. There were no low-blood-sugar migraines, no 'lowgie'-ness, and I felt great (of course 2,400 mg of Ibuprophen a day really aught to make you feel pretty niftyl).

Ironically I seem to have gained 10 pounds.

Last edited by Voort saBinring on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

This is the most wandering conversation we've ever had. Somehow we've gotten from New England calendar photos to Ibuprophen overdosing. I guess that's why it belongs on this topic.

Ya, be careful with Ibuprophen. That's not something you should be taking 3x the recommended dosage of. And you need to take it with plenty of water. The stuff is pretty hard on your liver.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:23 pm 

Haha, sorry to temporarily derail this random-thoughtness.

Just wanted to let everyone know I'll be heading to Arizona for a few days for Anna's birthday. I'll check the board intermittently, but not every 5 minutes like I have been lately. I'll be back Sunday or Monday.

That is all.

*re-rails random thoughts*

I didn't realize Ibuprofen was so bad for you. Huh, I'll be much more careful in the future. I tend to take that stuff like crazy when I have a cold.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:22 pm 

Yeah, I know a lady who got a pair of nasty stomach ulcers from taking too much Ibuprofen. It is really tough on you. Shame it's the best drug on the counter at managing my pain.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:48 am 

Tylernol w/ Codine is much more fun.
Had it once after a wisdom tooth extraction.

Most med warnings say: 'Do not operate heavy machinery.'
The label for Tylenol w/ Codine should read: 'Do not operate a slinky.'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:59 am 

I'm just gonna go ahead and stay out of this one too :p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:15 pm 

I, too, got an ulcer-esque thing from taking too much Ibuprofen!. Of course, I was taking that to get rid of migraines.... In the end, I was still quite sick all around and now I have developed almost an immunity to Ibuprofen.

Lesson of today? Don't take too much medicine.

Me: If you strangle me first, I'll be dead for the kiss, so you'd better do it the other way around.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:51 pm 

Location: The Land of Rising with the Sun, I mean Land of the Rising Sun
Personally, I have a bad habit of not taking painkillers when I probably should. I need to be in serious amounts of pain to actually take painkillers and by then it's usually a sign that I've done something pretty bad to myself in the first place. The benefit is I can take minimum doses and actually have them work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:36 am 

I am exactly the same, Ril.

But possibly that is more because I can't swallow tablets than anything else. But I do agree, it means when I take those damned dissolve-on-the-tongue aspirins, then I know I definitely feel ill.

(Although if they make you appear thinner, I might just be tempted to OD on ibuprofen... you shouldn't give this info out to chicks!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:22 am 

I am the same way! If you see me actually taking something, you know I must be hurting a ton. I also couldn't take swallow pills for the longest time - I had to crush them up and eat them in applesauce or some such thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:26 am 

Thanks to a literal horse pill (flu treatment once...ick, thing was MASSIVE) I can swallow pills fine. But I'm fairly anti-medicine, especially since as a child I had to take a lot of antibiotics for ear infections. I just also prefer to try and ride things out, although I thankfully don't get sick often (she says, waiting to find out from her doctor if she has a bacterial sinus infection...)

If you EVER get antibiotics, be SURE to finish the dosage to the exact orders of the doctor. Its amazing how resistant things can become when medicines are taken improperly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:21 am 

Mish,
please re-read my post carefully.
I did stop eating, but I also GAINED 10 POUNDS!
Apparently, Ibuprophen is very high in calories.
Perhaps its 95% sucrose by weight?

I was only supposed to take it for one day instead of the proscribed meds to see if the nausea stopped, but I misunderstood my Doc and kept it up for 5 more days before calling him. Honestly, I'm 270lbs (that's 19.3 stone). Someone less than half my weight could easilly have been rendered unconscious or very dead by that dosage. As I stated at the first it was an extreeeeeeeemely unhealthy thing to do.

Live and learn.

Kai wrote:
(Although if they make you appear thinner, I might just be tempted to OD on ibuprofen... you shouldn't give this info out to chicks!)

"How many times have I told those boys not to call chicks, broads?"
- R. J. Fletcher UHF -

Last edited by Voort saBinring on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:38 am 

Urm.... I guess it must be ridiculously calorific! Sorry for not reading your post properly!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:50 am 

It might also have been a metabolic reaction by the body to the large dosage - I tend to use straight acetaminophen myself over ibuprofen, and they act differently to some degree.

Oh course, I have to take children's doses of drugs. Half a Tylenol cold and sinus dose? You might as well just give me a glass of whiskey...the cold medicine makes me act crazier than alcohol does!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:47 am 

Those meds Piggy initially referred to probably had an opiate of some sort in it - hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, codine, etc - which tend to cause water retention leading to dehydration, constipation, and weight gain. Combine that with the lack of exercise one usually experiences while on those meds and you'll probably gain weight. I wouldn't worry about it too much as that kind of weight is usually easy to lose.

Also, the liver's ability to bounce back is phenomenal. It takes a LOT of aspirin/tylenol/ibuprofen to seriously damage it long term or cause any severe damage. LD50 for ibuprofen in rats is (googled) 636mg/kg so to kill Piggy would take more than 70 grams in one sitting. He barely took a third of that total over five days...while that is pretty bad, its not the end of the world.

Stressed liver + opiates = no appetite and weight gain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:23 am 

Fact: When in Texas, ALWAYS be aware of where you are standing, ESPECIALLY in shoes that have openings (IE sandals, etc).

We have these little red ants called Fire Ants - they are aggressive, and they have very, VERY allergy inducing bites, which they will clamp onto you with.

Thankfully, they do not swarm. However, they are skilled at getting INSIDE even tight sneakers, gloves, or will find homes in anything you place on the ground. (Picnic blankets, fencing masks...not that any of my rapier friends found out about that last one the hard way).

I mention this since in taking out the trash yesterday and trying to push it in, I failed to notice (having thrown on sandals for such a quick task) that a new hill had sprung up right by the garbage bin, and my foot was in it.

Thankfully, I do not have an allergy to them - I still have a blister on my little toe from the one that got me. Trust me , these bites hurt (and to be gross by mentioning it -puss for a while) even if they are small, singular, and you have no allergy to the toxin.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:14 am 

Red, although I do not share your specific pain, I empathise with it.

First supersunny day in, perhaps, this year. Lovely weather, thought I'd go do a bit of shopping... wearing some summery shoes, not my everday Doc Martens, which I've worn around the house/at work... and figured I'd completely worn in, but apparently, well, haven't... now I have 2 blisters on my left foot, and one on my right heel...

(you'd think I'd have learnt, but I bought a new pair of shoes... which I'm wearing now. Fingers crossed no further damage is produced! Must. Wear. Summery. Shoes. In. The. Summer. Cannot have another summer of sweating in CATs and Docs!)

*hobbles*

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:15 am 

Okay, back from Arizona. Anna turned 21 so she, another one of her friends and I drove to Las Vegas and saw The Beatles Love show by Cirque du Soleil. Amazing, let me tell you.

And on the way back from Las Vegas to Phoenix, we took the wrong highway and wound up in California. Had to drive through the Mojave desert. We wound up adding an extra 3 hours to our trip in total. Not the worst thing in the world considering the company, but only seeing other cars once every 20 miles or so in the middle of a desert can become quite...disconcerting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:17 am 
Site Admin

Ah. The Mojave Desert. Very fun. Worked quite well for the far-away shots of Mos Eisley.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:38 pm 

[crazy old wizard voice]
Vegas... never was there a more wretched hive of scum and villany* I hope you were cautious.
[/crazy old wizard voice]

*(excluding Disneyland of course)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:58 am 
Site Admin

Hehe, actually, I'm referring to southern California.

Oh, and for those of you on the Committee to Negotiate the Nor Cal/So Cal Border, I have another proposal to make. After the success of our last deal in giving Nor Cal Zak's town of Lake Isabella and letting So Cal have Yosemite in exchange, I thought that we could give you our vast, beautiful stretches of the Mojave Desert with its technological (space flight) and pop culture (Star Wars) history for...say...all of your coast line? You don't do much with it anyway. We'll just move it all down to So Cal, expand their possibilities with miles of manufactured sand, then beautify them with endless resort hotels, grubby eateries, and housing blocks. Sound good?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:21 am 

You can have everything EXCEPT Santa Cruz and Pajaro Dunes...

You take those, and I'll put a Kowakian Monkey Lizard in your pajamas.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:00 am 

Anyone want to make a trade for any/most of Texas? Besides the core formed in the middle by Dallas-Austin-San Antonio-Houston, it's mostly just huge tracts of land.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:21 am 

General Corran Horn wrote:
Oh, and for those of you on the Committee to Negotiate the Nor Cal/So Cal Border, I have another proposal to make. After the success of our last deal in giving Nor Cal Zak's town of Lake Isabella and letting So Cal have Yosemite in exchange, I thought that we could give you our vast, beautiful stretches of the Mojave Desert with its technological (space flight) and pop culture (Star Wars) history for...say...all of your coast line? You don't do much with it anyway. We'll just move it all down to So Cal, expand their possibilities with miles of manufactured sand, then beautify them with endless resort hotels, grubby eateries, and housing blocks. Sound good?

I flat out say NO!!! To this deal, seeing that my school is all of 1/4 mile from the beach and I'm fairly certain the school actually owns some of the beach land. There's no way I want to be in something considered So-Cal! I blatently refuse!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:08 pm 

But I like my coastline. It gives me temperate weather and marine layers in the morning. I don't want your dusty high deserts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:13 pm 

Wow...I found a digital camera in the parking lot behind my apartment. It still works too.

Always wanted one of these :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:10 am 
Site Admin

Sweet! What model?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:07 am 

Looks to be an HP Photosmart. I don't know what specific model, though based on its default date of the First of January, 2006, it must have been made around then. It seems to be missing a part as well. The faceplate that covers the lens when it's off. Consequently, to turn it on you must hold the on button on the front of the camera the entire time you want it on. A small price to pay for a free digital camera, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:59 am 

I'd agree - small inconveniences for the sake of having the camera can be lived with! For the longest time my first digital camera (won at project graduation, all of 1MB!) was starting to become more duct tape than camera, since it took me a while to buy a better one for myself after it began to have trouble keeping its batteries in and staying together!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:09 pm 

I just plucked my first grey hair. Not cool :/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:36 pm 

As my older brother once said...

"It's when you're plucking you fortieth grey hair from around your bald spot that you have to worry"

Never trust a man who, when left alone with a tea cozy, does not try it on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:55 am 

I completely agree; it's not the grey or white hair you have to worry about, it's when they all start falling out! See George Clooney for proof that chicks dig the salt-and-pepper look? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:09 am 

I totally just went to wikipedia.org and typed in "Face Loran" to get some info on Face's character in the plot and was confused when it took me to a page that wasn't our plotpedia.com entry. Interestingly, they had a whole thing on Wraith Squadron there. Still, it was embarassing-- good thing it was 3 AM and no one saw me do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:13 am 

As I get older, my beard seems to get more red flecks, which I presume will one day be gray. In spite of being the eldest, though, I have the most hair left of my brothers. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:36 am 

Annoyingly enough, my hair appears to be going slightly. I thought I'd mention this before Mish does! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:38 pm 

It scares me that I am now the age of my character. When I first made Elassar, and before him, Ran, I targeted them both as 23 years of age because that was REALLY old for me at the time-- I was a freshmen in high school and was like... 14? 15? Possibly even 16?

Luckily, my hair has not yet begun it's strategic withdrawal from my scalp...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:21 pm 

It just occurred to me the other day that Gavin Darklighter was 16 in the first RS novel. Holy tamale that's young! I couldn't drive a car without crashing it at that age, let alone fly a freakin starfighter..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:37 pm 

Ditto to that, Myn. I can still barely drive a car now :wink: If I even look at it funny, the grill falls off the front.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:23 am 

I got ya all beat with the feelin' old thing.
Next November I will turn 42. I was fine with that until I realized...

Next week my son Steven is getting married,
(July 5th in Rome NY and your all invited!)

all of which means that before I turn 43,
I could well be a Grandfather.

And yes, the 'salt n' pepper' is hitting the
ol' noggin' hard and heavy of late.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:24 am 

and if anyone calls me Grampa Piggy I'll gnaw their head off.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:52 pm 

Is two weeks enough notice to give someone for a letter of recommendation?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:40 pm 

I think it's cutting it a tiny bit close, but it should work. What is it a letter of recommendation for?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:40 am 

Senatorial internship, going to DC for interviews around mid july. so its not like a school application or anything, I didn't wait for the last second. It just kind of came up. The prof I want it from is the one who taught that course I took in Croatia, where she'll be for the next week or so; I know its cutting it a bit close to the wire but I think she'll understand.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:34 am 

Yeah, 2 weeks sounds acceptable. Good luck getting the internship :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:29 am 

And, my house move is complete and internet is restored. Now to just unpack...whenever I'll have time for that between work and such!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Voort saBinring wrote:

Congrats, Mr. saBinring! Erm, I mean, Piggy. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:44 pm 

Thanks,

As big a Star Wars fan as I am,
it only seems fittingly ironic that
the boy fell in love with a girl
whose last name is Kirk!

General Corran Horn wrote:
Voort saBinring wrote:

Congrats, Mr. saBinring! Erm, I mean, Piggy. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

Voort saBinring wrote:
Thanks,

As big a Star Wars fan as I am,
it only seems fittingly ironic that
the boy fell in love with a girl
whose last name is Kirk!

That's brimming with irony.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:39 pm 

I'm working on figuring out how I can go to my brother's engagement party in Camarillo, my sister-in-law's senior recital in Ventura, and your daughter's wedding in Rome, all on the 5th.

In the meantime, congrats to you and to her!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:49 am 
Site Admin

Hmmm, Camarillo and Ventura...not too tough, but Rome? Piggy, you'd better be setting up a live webcam!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:01 pm 

Just out of curiosity since Dru is out there in Ventura(ish) Anyone else in the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley areas? I'm up in San Fernando Valley.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:18 pm 

Have you always been in the vicinity, Ran? For some reason I thought you were from the central valley someplace. Maybe you went to college there?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:24 pm 

Maybe you were thinking of me, Dru. I'm from the Bay Area, but I go to school in Stockton in the Central Valley.

Then again I could just be being very self-centered :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:01 pm 

Given the amount of time involved, and my advancing years, that is entirely possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:36 pm 

I used to live in the San Gabriel Valley (as a kid and young RSer) then went to school in Orange County, then graduated and came up here to San Fernando Valley. I'll actually be moving soon to a new place off of Valley Circle and the 101 Freeway (Yay Mulholland Drive?)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:45 pm 

Ah, cool. My dad's parents used to live in Canoga Park, just up Valley Circle a ways, so I'm very familiar with the area.

Also, don't get me started on Mulholland Drive. :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:52 am 
Site Admin

Dru Kargin wrote:
Also, don't get me started on Mulholland Drive. :P

Still my life's dream to drive it in a Porsche. Like all the other rich kids showing off their Porsche's ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:22 pm 

I'm more of a Laurel Canyon hater-- gotten into several close calls through no fault of my own.. Mulholland Drive's alright...?

PS-- w00t!! Sci-Fi Channel Twilight Zone Marathon WITH Potato Chips, BBQ, and Beer! Notin' better'n that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:47 am 

Dude, I'm DIGGING the Twilight Zone Marathon! Got to see some of my real favorites already, just hoping I don't miss Terror at 20,000 Ft.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Check out hulu.com and joost.com for Twilight Zone episodes for free. They've got 30-40.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:38 pm 

wow, I thought I was the only loser watching twilight zone reruns on a Friday evening! Wound up going out later but still.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:21 pm 

Do you ever get tired of that little voice in your head
telling you to stab your own eyes out with a letter opener?

'Cuz I sure do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:52 pm 

My little voice tends to tell me to take construction equipment to my computer screen to stop the "crazy dancing data" on the screen and put it in its place.

Of course, that's only when I'm entrenched in the n-th hour of a large scale, manual entry project...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:29 am 

See now, my meds forbid the use of heavy equipment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:05 am 

I'm forbidden from using sharp, pointy objects.

Never trust a man who, when left alone with a tea cozy, does not try it on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:58 pm 

..but scissors make you run faster!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:47 am 

Odd... yet amusing...

floppy-drive-plays-the-imperial-march

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:36 pm 

omg iphone. <3 u.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:24 pm 

I'm back from Ninjaland, which means I should be online and able to chat more often at reasonable hours, at least until school starts in about 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome back from ninja training!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:06 pm 

It's certainly random, at any rate...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:30 am 
Site Admin

Was talking to a nerd friend of mine at work, and he revealed that his greatest aspiration in life is to be converted to digital form and be downloaded to the internet so he'll never die but rather live in a perpetual state of gaining more and more knowledge and power.

A little scary.

Though I would be surprised if Dru and Piggy hadn't had that dream as well ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:27 am 

I make everything on the internet seem better... by comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:45 am 

Lash sewn bronze age boats are fascinating and all...but they have consumed way too much of my time this past week...

Viva la dugout!

*scurries back to her grad school department*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:04 am 

The distributed power of the Internet is no match for the formidable code my essence would require.

Besides, there's too many idiots on the Internet these days. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:57 am 

Voort saBinring wrote:
How drunk do you have to be in order to see imaginary numbers?

If you're (un)fortunate enough to see numbers in your head as concepts instead of as data, not drunk at all.

Imaginary numbers look like real numbers, but backwards. Or maybe mirrored... or a little of both. Also they move in an alternate dimension that makes it a little hard to describe...

Oh snap, wrong thread.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:54 pm 

Dru Kargin wrote:

Besides, there's too many idiots on the Internet these days. ;)

[Grammar Police] There are too many idiots on the Internet these days. If you're going to use the plural "idiots" as the subject of your sentence, you must use a plural linking verb. [/Grammar Police]

Oh, God. If I bring the BEAK (Boring Explanations And Korrections) Imperium to life on this site, someone punch me in the face...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:53 pm 

I amend my sentence to "Besides, there exist too many idiots..." The copula is (har!) a weak verb, and exist gives a much stronger feeling.

I suspect that my oversight stemmed from the passive-voice thought pattern in my head wherein "Internet" served as the primary focus.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:28 am 

I thought it was funny in the sense that stereotypically drunk people see pink elephants.
Forgot to note who I was quoting. Scott Adams creator of 'Dilbert'.

It reminded me of the bit from Futurama when the robot Bender has a bad dream and tells the human Fry.
"It was horrible! There were ones and zeros everywhere, and I think, I saw... a two!"'

Fry replies "There, there buddy. It was only a nightmare. There's no such thing as two."

Dru Kargin wrote:
Voort saBinring wrote:
How drunk do you have to be in order to see imaginary numbers?

If you're (un)fortunate enough to see numbers in your head as concepts instead of as data, not drunk at all.

Imaginary numbers look like real numbers, but backwards. Or maybe mirrored... or a little of both. Also they move in an alternate dimension that makes it a little hard to describe...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:38 am 

Move Zig!

http://jmz.iki.fi/blog/internet/all-you ... and-hobbes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Haha, yes, I love that one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:05 pm 

Oh Dear Good Lord, Thank goodness it's Friday. *Grabs a Lomin Ale* May the weekend begin.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:13 pm 

Much better...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

I've found it! At last. Proof of the orbital ion cannon.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... iwloc=addr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:49 am 

Ewok Gospel (YouTube video)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:52 am 

36+ hours since our cable went wonky and internet died at my apartment. Still no solid answers on WHAT happened, only varied forms of "its being fixed" and vacant promises that the evening will bring correction.

*grumbles and goes to use her library machine to track down the IT building*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:38 pm 

Wow...who would have thought no one would post in this topic for over a month...

Just had to resurrect it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:13 am 
Site Admin

<finishes watching Ewok Gospel for 7th time around>

Can't believe I missed that when it was first posted. That's awesome!

Check out this version at the SW convention with Warwick Davis singing along: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuviqXSd ... ent_455632

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:38 am 

I can't believe I missed it too!

That is awesome!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:18 pm 

Hehehe- glad you all liked it. My sister showed it to me a long time ago. I have to admit- it's a tremendously catchy tune! Kinda like my brand-spanking new* Theme Song. I'm going to start carrying a boom box with me and playing it whenever I run into a room or move from one location to another. The only downside is that I'll have to move with exaggerated quickness whenever I move about. :P

*new meaning more than fifty years old

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next