Rogue Squadron Board

Welcome to the Rogue Squadron Community.
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:29 am 

Where do I sign up??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200904 ... yO7O3Zn414

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Haha, yes, just heard that one today.

<dons Mandalorian armor>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:23 pm 

I think we could get a posse together. Now... all we need is a ship to call the Sacul! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

And some "Flight of the Valkyries" to blast through loudspeakers as we ram their little skiffs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:49 pm 

http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2009/04/pirates-try-the-pompeythegreat-solution.html <- The Classical approach to the age old problem (although possibly not of any interest to anyone who isn't me...)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm, they'd better be pretty big "small holdings" to make the pirates go for that over $2M+ a ship.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:04 pm 

So it's basically Team FFA, Vigilantes v Pirate Vigilantes? Sign me up for Team Wraith 8) Is it a BYOG (guns) party or can we stock up in Yemen or Eritrea before deploying?

Kai: Pompey's solution probably won't work under these circumstances. Somalia has been so frakked for so long that an "early 'resettlement of offenders' initiative he offered the pirates small-holdings near the coast, where they could make an honest living for themselves" plan would fall flat...even if they didn't have to worry about that land being taken by the baddest warlord, they still have to deal with the complete lack of even arable land for crops (arable land: 1.64%, permanent crops: 0.04%, per the CIA Factbook updated April 9 09), let alone any kind of social, economic, or government infrastructure for real money.

I'll be really interested to see how the world deals with this. Send in our navies and blow up the pirates? Send in armies to destroy their Pirate Bases after their boats are derelict burnt wood? Give them 10 kajillion spacebucks in foreign aid to artificially prop up a puppet regime with no real power? Or how 'bout we just nuke them all to Hades.

Did you watch the HBO miniseries Rome? Pompey was always rambling about his encounters with pirates and such if I recall, but I never really read into it. I'll be on wikipedia the rest of the afternoon now thanks to that link ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:46 pm 

I say we just summon The Doctor and his TARDIS. That ought to fix everything up pretty quickly...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 am 
Site Admin

Azazel wrote:
I say we just summon The Doctor and his TARDIS. That ought to fix everything up pretty quickly...

Au contraire, I have a theory that, considering how many alien invasions and scientific-breakthroughs-gone-wrong happen every time he just randomly picks a time in history in which to land, The Doctor actually causes disasters to happen...though probably inadvertently. Or otherwise he already knows all these bad things that are going to happen so he can time his intervention and just never lets on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:59 pm 

General Corran Horn wrote:
Azazel wrote:

Au contraire, I have a theory that, considering how many alien invasions and scientific-breakthroughs-gone-wrong happen every time he just randomly picks a time in history in which to land, The Doctor actually causes disasters to happen...though probably inadvertently. Or otherwise he already knows all these bad things that are going to happen so he can time his intervention and just never lets on.

Or perhaps the TARDIS latches on to the situation? Eh? It can interpret distress calls that are active- why not passive ones, ones that the world cries out with? Eh?

Though I do have to ask this: How come all of the aliens keep plopping down in London? How come we Yankees never get any aliens? Were we that inhospitable back in Roswell?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Azazel wrote:
Though I do have to ask this: How come all of the aliens keep plopping down in London? How come we Yankees never get any aliens? Were we that inhospitable back in Roswell?

They show up in the U.S., too, but we've got Mulder and Scully to chase them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:16 am 

So apparently aliens only land where people speak English.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Halley Kadorto wrote:

Not necessarily. There's the Chupicabra alien in Mexico; the aliens who taught the ancient Egyptians math, science, geometry, and pyramid-building; and the aliens in South America with the crystal skulls, to name a few.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:33 pm 

General Corran Horn wrote:
Halley Kadorto wrote:

Not necessarily. There's the Chupicabra alien in Mexico; the aliens who taught the ancient Egyptians math, science, geometry, and pyramid-building; and the aliens in South America with the crystal skulls, to name a few.

Ah, but the ones in Egypt were the Goa'old. They spoke English, as evidenced by Stargate, sir.

And I thought Chupicabra had its origins in demonology? I may be wrong, though....