Rogue Squadron Board

Welcome to the Rogue Squadron Community.
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So what are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:51 pm 

As stated above...

I have been knee deep in the 'Fate of the Jedi' series since before Christmas when I found 'Outcast' on audio book locally at the Jervis Public Library.
I purchased the next few as paperbacks and just last week put down a hardcover of 'Backlash' also on loan from JPL and then setted in to impatiently wait for word that 'Allies' and "Vortex' are available.

'What', I wondered aloud 'will I do with all my free time now?' Then, lo and behold, I spot Old Republic: 'Fatal Alliance' by one Sean Williiams on the new arrivals shelf.

Having torn through the FotJ books like.. oh, something that tears through a lesser thing quite efficiently, I was surprised to the extreme that with all the time in the world and a week's effort I have only made it so far as page 34 of Fatal Alliance.

I just can't seem to get into this one.
There are a few small things that really put me off.

It is set 3650:BBY, but the way it make reference to the Empire, the Emperor, and the Old Republic feels like the narrator it speaking to a post RotJ audience. Also it lacks the sort of redundant character synopsis that I've come to expect in SW novels. You know the sort of thing I mean. Those one or two sentence condensations of a characters history like how everyone has to remind us that Piggy is a 'genetically altered Gammorean pilot', or that Wedge is 'hero of the rebellion' and survivor of two Deathstar assaults.

There are Mandelorians, and Jedi and Sith (Oh my!) but somehow, it just doesn't feel 'Star-Warsy'.

Is this because I haven't played the video game? I didn't have this problem when I read Shadows of the Empire.

So... what are you reading?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:09 am 

I am currently on Wedge's Gamble, book 2 in my Re-Read of the X-wing series.

Really fun reads. Stackpole has a very easy to read style and I appreciate the manageable chapter lengths to allow for quick breaks when I need a small 5-10 minute thesis intermission.

Sadly, things are not looking good for Corran and even though I know the ending, the process of getting through the story again is rewarding.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:04 am 

Ahh Wedge's Gamble! I love the bit about choosing the memory cores.

As to rereading Should I ever meet Aaron Allston I'll proudly show him my threadbare copy of Wraith Squadron but I'd have to get a fresh copy for him to autograph.

Outside of the SWU,

Last year I tore through most of the works of Orson Scott Card begining with 'Ender's Game' and ending with 'Speaker for the Dead'.
I loved Ender's Game so much, I read it to my boys Robert and Peter.

Another neat story (though it is in the form of children's 'chapter book'') is 'Cosmic' by Frank Cottrell Boyce is about an awkward not-quite-yet-teenage boy who longs to be treated as an adult until he realizes he can pass for one.

Mr Boyce also wrote a story called 'Millions' which was made into a movie of the same name about a boy who finds a sack full of cash.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:55 pm 

I too am enjoying the Fate of the Jedi series. I'm actually finding it a lot more enjoyable that the proceeding series... Y'know... the one with Caedus? The name escapes me at the moment. For some reason, I really quite like the interation between Luke and Ben. Whilst I've never disliked Luke, he's never been a favourite of mine, yet I am warming to him thanks to this series.

Also just started Clone Wars: Stealth. Which isn't great so far (it got crappy reviews on Amazon), but I shall press on... As for outside of SW, I'm actually struggling to think of the last thing I read... I mean, I do READ outside of SW, but I can't seem to recall what. I shall blame it on the total lack of sleep and come back to it.

Oh, and Piggy, my copy of Wraith Squadron is held together by sheer force of will, it's that well read! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:47 pm 

I try to avoid literary reviews. I figure if the reveiwer really knew what people liked, he'd be getting rich writing bestsellers. Personally I'd rather form an opinion on my own and if I happen to agree with the majority, so be it.

For example, most people will tell you that ESB is the best SW movie. If I tell someone I prefer RotJ they mock me and say something about how "ESB has a darker story line and more drama and pathos blah blah blah, but Jedi" they will insist "is trivial fluff! It doesn't even do a good job of wrapping up all the loose plot strands".

My response is; Of course Jedi is fluff, and that is exactly what Lucas intended it to be, Saturday movie matinee fluff. Like the Buck Rodgers and Flash Gordon serials of the 50's. God have you ever seen DVD's of the originals in that $5 bin at the grocers? Escapist entertainment at it's purist. Jedi is yet another adventure with friends we've come to know and love.

O.K. it's not Citizen Kane but it's also not Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

The Face wrote:
I too am enjoying the Fate of the Jedi series.

So where are you in FotJ? I had Outcast as an audio book. Marc Thompson's one man perfomance was quite good especially switching between a passable imitation of Mark Hamill's Luke and a slightly younger/nasal-er Ben. So now I have these two new voices in my head as I read the remaining books. Still need to get hold of Allies and Vortex.

The Face wrote:
I'm actually finding it a lot more enjoyable that the proceeding series... Y'know... the one with Caedus?

I picked up the first in the Caedus saga and was about to check it out from the JPL when I spotted this brand new SW:TOR:Fatal Alliance and got that instead. There is sooooo much mention in FotJ of Jacen's fall that I'm wishing I'd stuck with my first choice.

The worst part is I just realized that SW:TOR:FA is the first of a new series and that means waiting the interminable months between installments.

I really like the odd novel that works as a stand alone adventure, like the classic 'Splinter of the Mind's Eye' or more recently 'Deathstar'. You really don't need to know anything other than SW:ANH to read either of those.

Yeah I'm gonna need a good stand alone story as a "palate cleanser" after SW:TOR:FA. I think next I'll pick up 'Deathtroopers' by Joe Schreiber though I fear it'll be a not so much a classic horror story as a lame nod to the Twilight books and movies.

After that I'll have a crack at Jacen's fall to the darkside.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:40 am 

I'm current with the FotJ series. As a general rule, I buy every book as it comes out. Whilst it's certainly more expensive than waiting for the paperback version, I know that if I left it, I'd end up having to buy several books at once, and I'd certainly see the dent in the ol' bank balance then.

Also, I totally appreciate the stand alones. Death Star is probably my favourite novel of recent years. It just shows that you can have a decent novel, creating characters that the reader cares about who aren't the "big three" (either Han, Luke and Leia or Anakin, Obi Wan and Padme!).

As for reviews, the problem that I'm having, is that in the review they highlighted some character "issues."...

Amazon Review wrote:
Its good to share your feelings isn't it.
Good to get anything unsaid out there for people to hear. It also helps to deal with them and put them behind you, turn from the dark side as it were.
Except, wait, Anakin never did deal with his feelings did he. Thats how he lost himself to the dark side after all. Anakin never faced the things he did and his experiences and used his jedi training to deal with his anger.
If only he'd expressed his feelings LIKE HE DOES HERE ON EVERY SINGLE PAGE.

And Obi-Wan also deals with an inner anger and on nearly every page.
A trained jedi you only raised his voice a few times in the prequels here is angry with every single person
he comes in contact with but its okay he keeps it inside.....sometimes.
This is completely different from the Obi-Wan I know from the series and books.
Except, wait, according to Clone Wars: Wild Space he knows all about Anakin and Padme,warns Padme off a relationship with Anakin AND THEN TOTALLY MISSES ANAKING AND PADME HAVING A RELATIONSHIP FOR THREE YEARS.

And now I've read that, I can't help but notice that the reviewer is correct! It's not ruining the story for me, but it's something I'm painfully aware of!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:28 am 

Im currently reading Fatal Alliance, i normally wait with reading books thats that far back in the Star Wars timeline. I normally read the books from around Phantom of Menace and up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:18 pm 

PM sent to discuss SW:TOR:FA
It's rare that I have such a new book in my hands.
I'd like to go on about it, but I don't want to post any spoilers.

Master_Nawara_Ven wrote:
Im currently reading Fatal Alliance, i normally wait with reading books thats that far back in the Star Wars timeline. I normally read the books from around Phantom of Menace and up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:03 am 

Reply sent, kinda want more of the TPM and up stories but not much these days.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:01 am 

O.K. I an now over halfway through TOR:FA and there is a large battle going on and I'm well into it all now.

When you read this book start with the liner notes as this is the closest thing to an 'opening scroll' that I feel, is greatly needed to set the scene, era, mood, and tone for those of us who are not already familiar with 'The Old Republic' video games.

I am having my suspicions as to the rest of the story arc, in the end this could be a stand alone story, and not a terrible one over all. Even if the main conflict is resolved per my prediction, I think they will have to carry at least a few of these characters forward into additional adventures. If this is not the case, then maybe I don't see what is coming in the next 150 pages after all.

In hindsight the rocky beginning can be forgiven, knowing that with the original edit of SW:ANH, Lucas had things all turned around and we met Luke much sooner, which killed the pacing, so he kept editing until we got what we got. Sure we lost Biggs Darlighter, Cammy and Fixer, but I think we gained much more in the end.

On a critical note I have a few quibbles about some assertions made regarding intergalactic astronomy, and I had a brief flash of 'I've read this story before', where we encounter the 'extra-galactic-civilization' who are threatened by the existence of the known galaxy that uses A.I. 'bio-tech' which feels like yet another 'repaint' of the Ssi-ruuk entechment rig from 'Truce at Bakura'.

I mean can't we just get by with the Empire vs. the Republic, or Sith vs. Jedi?

If someone wanted to do something totally original in this era they could establish a group of new characters with fully developed personalities, redeeming qualities and foibles, get us to love them, and suddenly kill 'em all off before the end of the book.

No on going heroic tales just one adventure that ends in defeat, or maybe is resolved by one insignificant character who then gets it in the third chapter of the next book just when it looks like he's going to be our new hero, or was supposed to be all along. Really just F'in rip the reader's hearts out and give them nothing on which to look forward.

They almost did that with Deathstar.

Last edited by Voort saBinring on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:20 am 

Just finished Fate of the Jedi: Ascension.

I know I'm the grumpy conspiracy nut here, but is it just me or does the anti-slavery movement in the series seem oddly timed to coincide with the 'OCCUPY [insert-name-of-place-here] MOVEMENT' ? In fact I'd swear they made some direct reference to former protesters (possibly Rokari Kem) 'occupying places of power'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:47 pm 

The Big Short by Michael Lewis is a pretty comprehensive overview of the great recession if anyone is interested.

Oh, star wars you say? I've been flipping through the Krytos trap but it's just as bad as I remember it:

Iella: "tycho totally killed corran!"
Wedge/nawara/tycho: "Did not!"
....repeat for 300 pages.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:50 am 

There was more to Krytos than just "Did too!" "Did not." If you check, you will see on page 217 Nawara mixes it up by saying: "Nuh uhn."

Myn Donos wrote:
The Big Short by Michael Lewis is a pretty comprehensive overview of the great recession if anyone is interested.

Oh, star wars you say? I've been flipping through the Krytos trap but it's just as bad as I remember it:

Iella: "tycho totally killed corran!"
Wedge/nawara/tycho: "Did not!"
....repeat for 300 pages.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:56 pm 

I just got into Mercy Kill

Piggy shows up on Page 4 and
I have just found my costume for NY Comic Con 2012.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:48 pm 

If it's what Piggy is wearing on page 4.... That I gotta see!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 am 

Body paint + Don Post mask = Internet Infamy

Take that Slave Leia Guy!!

Ohh... if only I had the chutzpah.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:11 am 

You gotta do it!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:55 pm 

Wait until you see what he wears near the end :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 am 

How near?
I've just finished Ch 24 where Voort has words with Scut.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:08 am 

I think Hales means the climax to the operation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:07 am 

Chapter 29 the wraiths buy some used X-Wings.

Chapter 30 rehersal for a holodrama 'The Pig Who Could Fly'.
Allston near-missed a trope "I can't see a thing in this helmet!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:02 pm 

O.K. Black boxers and sox I think I could do.
Probably have to carry my copy of Mercy Kill with me so at least a few people get the joke.
Pity Allston won't be at NYCC missed him at C6 & DC. Damn I'm a slow reader.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:58 pm 

So... suppose I have a "friend" who wants to read the new X-Wing novel, and suppose this "friend" hasn't read anything since The Unifying Force.

How important would it be that my "friend" read the Legacy of the Force and The Fate of the Jedi series first?

I mean, hypothetically. If I knew anyone like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:03 pm 

I think your "friend" would be just fine. I didn't finish Fate of the Jedi (only ready through book 7) but even then the one link the new Wraith novel has to that series is explained within the first chapter pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:40 am 

And the spoilers for the FotJ series are pretty minor (the good guys win).

Tell your friend that I hope he enjoys it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:46 am 

Okay - I was familiar with the general plot lines/ideas behind the Republic Commando series. But MAN they're a fun read. Onto book 2!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:27 am 

I am just burning through the Ender's Game prequel "Earth Unaware: The Formic Wars" I don't normally get this sort of anxious/dread/thrill sensation outside of watching a slasher flick. Had to step away in the last 100 pages to let my heart rate drop a bit.

BTW the CCS for Dummies book is sure cure for insomnia.

The Ender's Game movie (summer 2013) with H Ford and Han Soto is going to be such a let down after this book.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 pm 

Currently working my way through the New Jedi Order series. On Jedi Eclipse at the minute.

Not actually read any of the Fate of the Jedi series. May have to at some point, plus still wanting to pick up Millennium Falcon.

Also, just started reading the new Star Wars comic series. Set after the Battle of Yavin, it's just had issue one out so far an already it's looking promising. Plus the artwork reminds me a lot of the old Rogue Squadron comics.

Never trust a man who, when left alone with a tea cozy, does not try it on.