Rogue Squadron Board

Welcome to the Rogue Squadron Community.
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:25 am 

<Phynix> What I think is really unacceptable is that this s*** happens in Indonesia and our President is on the air 5 hours after, addressing the nation saying we will donate, and asking citizens to donate to international aid funds.
<Phynix> And 48 hours after the same s*** happened to us, none of the major countries leaders give a s***. Nothing from the British Government, our closest ally. Austrailia, any European country...
<Phynix> The world wonders why American's are arrogant b********, and the reason is clear. When people need help, we step up and help out. And when we need help, the world does jack s***.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:16 am 

*raises eyebrow*

I hate to point out, that America has more money than Indonesia. And, if there is a humanitarian disaster, then America, the country with the biggest amount of wealth in the world is a welcome contributer to the cause. (I will of course refrain from mentioning that the British public actually raised more money initially than the American goverment for the Tsunami disaster).

If humanitarian aid is required in America... the contributions of other countries will pale into insignificance to the sheer overwhelming amount that America herself will pile into it.

So, it's not a case of arrogance, but to put it bluntly, America is such a big player in the world arena, that no-one else can really compete. That might make someone on the outside to view it from their certain point of view.

Ah, politics. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:42 am 

The US asking for foreign aid to clean up after a hurricane would be like Goliath asking David for a bandaid to cover a blister. Not to downplay the magnitude and damage of Katrina or anything, but...I think we can handle it. I can see being a little miffed that nobody even offered though, I suppose.